Any body daily drive there P7100 conversion?

Cool good information guys, keeping it coming:woohoo:.

For turbos, really haven't put alot of thought into it yet. Might try a few combos. Probably 60-66mm sized for secondary, either a 80-105mm primary or two -S300's turbos. Plan on running a steed manifold and a decent size external gate.

The turbos will be something that we have laying around have a few choices available.

Going to try the 13mm pump like RonA suggested. Hopefully this works as well as every here has indicated.:rockwoot:

I have some wiggle room on the size turbos as I plan to run water/meth system and a few stages of nos for the events.

This 5.9L engine build probably be done in a few months, so things might change along way.

The real only issues I see needing improvement is the engine coolant system and keeping decent fuel pressure at the injection pump.

I daily drive and tow with my p-pump 24v. 15 months and 25,000 miles so far. 15-17 broken injection lines so far too. I cheaped out when I set it up and went with used lines that were hand bent, straightened, and rebent. I replaced those piecemeal with Cummins stock VP lines that I rebent. Some of those broke too, so I ponied up for a prebent set. After 6 of those failed in an 8 month span I put on a full new set of 6 in October. 9500 miles later, tonight, #2 cracked right under a clamp.

I'm ready to put a 12v head on this damn thing. I'm kicking myself for not doing that when I put this engine in. Probably going to flush another $80 down the toilet tomorrow if my local Cummins shop has any VP lines in stock so I can make my 1200 mile weekend trip as planned with all 6 firing and without soaking my trailer and load in $4.40/gal fuel.

Other than that, it's been great. The 24v donor was an ISB205 from a bus application. I ran the stock 12v 215hp cam pump with stock ISB205 injectors timed to 20* and HX35 with no gate (failed actuator that I've never fixed...). Kept the mechanical 12v lift pump, hence the 12v cam. Hard start when cold, high egts, great power. Swapped in a Big Stick cam and set timing around 17. Starts well now but the lost timing and cam gains pretty much cancelled each other out. And I definitely lost some low end. Took too much timing out... I'd like to get some RV275s popped closer to P-pump pressure next to get timing back more aggressive, and get a WG back on the HX35 and limit boost around 31-33 where it used to be to keep it from blowing such hot air on the top end and get my EGTs fully fixed.

Not pushing my stuff as hard as most of you do, but that's my experience so far. I'd love to know what the rest of you are doing to make your lines last. I have line-to-line clamps pretty much everywhere one will fit. when I swapped the set in October I tried to get at least one of the line-to-intake cover clamps from my 12v to fit but couldn't. The ones from the 24v weren't serviceable after tear down so I couldn't try those....

I daily drove mine for a year after the conversion (until a blizzard got the best of the 2wd). I only had about half the clamps on them, since they would never fit properly on the truck. I had to replace one line, since it leaked from the get go, where the flare is crimped on the line at the head. That lasted me another three years, until I swapped them out for larger lines when I went to the 13mm pump. I had probably 20k km on them. 0.078" mild steel lines.

Noob question

What are the numbers like for a maxed 215 pump and a maxed 180 pump. I'm picking up a p pump tomorrow but I don't know what it is yet. If the 180 can make the power levels I'm after than I'll pick it up either way 215 or 180

I daily drive and tow with my p-pump 24v. 15 months and 25,000 miles so far. 15-17 broken injection lines so far too. I cheaped out when I set it up and went with used lines that were hand bent, straightened, and rebent. I replaced those piecemeal with Cummins stock VP lines that I rebent. Some of those broke too, so I ponied up for a prebent set. After 6 of those failed in an 8 month span I put on a full new set of 6 in October. 9500 miles later, tonight, #2 cracked right under a clamp.

I'm ready to put a 12v head on this damn thing. I'm kicking myself for not doing that when I put this engine in. Probably going to flush another $80 down the toilet tomorrow if my local Cummins shop has any VP lines in stock so I can make my 1200 mile weekend trip as planned with all 6 firing and without soaking my trailer and load in $4.40/gal fuel.

Other than that, it's been great. The 24v donor was an ISB205 from a bus application. I ran the stock 12v 215hp cam pump with stock ISB205 injectors timed to 20* and HX35 with no gate (failed actuator that I've never fixed...). Kept the mechanical 12v lift pump, hence the 12v cam. Hard start when cold, high egts, great power. Swapped in a Big Stick cam and set timing around 17. Starts well now but the lost timing and cam gains pretty much cancelled each other out. And I definitely lost some low end. Took too much timing out... I'd like to get some RV275s popped closer to P-pump pressure next to get timing back more aggressive, and get a WG back on the HX35 and limit boost around 31-33 where it used to be to keep it from blowing such hot air on the top end and get my EGTs fully fixed.

Not pushing my stuff as hard as most of you do, but that's my experience so far. I'd love to know what the rest of you are doing to make your lines last. I have line-to-line clamps pretty much everywhere one will fit. when I swapped the set in October I tried to get at least one of the line-to-intake cover clamps from my 12v to fit but couldn't. The ones from the 24v weren't serviceable after tear down so I couldn't try those....

These were all mild steel lines?

65k miles since 2004 when the swap was done. Changed lines once to go to .084's, no problems with either set.

Last edited:
Mike stop screwing around, put the monotherms and r&r's in, the boxes are starting to collect quite the layer of dust. :hehe:

Also, what people need to realize is some month's Mike puts on 15k in a month, and other months he is lucky to put on 50 miles.

Finally the last bit of the puzzle that is missing is: Mike is really not that concerned if it blows up, at last count he had about 14 5.9 long blocks of various years, and close to a dozen turbo's on the shelf. He likes to collect cummins parts.

Mike stop screwing around, put the monotherms and r&r's in, the boxes are starting to collect quite the layer of dust. :hehe:

Also, what people need to realize is some month's Mike puts on 15k in a month, and other months he is lucky to put on 50 miles.

Finally the last bit of the puzzle that is missing is: Mike is really not that concerned if it blows up, at last count he had about 14 5.9 long blocks of various years, and close to a dozen turbo's on the shelf. He likes to collect cummins parts.

Hah those mono-therms sure install nice, might be a the ticket to running that mild 13mm Pee pumper we have planned. Wouldn't mind getting near the 1k mark for power and be able to do the daily driving.:rockwoot:

Back