Any ideas on rebuilt TDI engine...

Chris Tobin

I may have found a TDI with a blown engine... Anyone know a reputable company that sells rebuilt TDI engines? GEX in AR seems to have decent prices at $2499 for a rebuilt ALH longblock but looking for one closer and more readily available since they are atleast 30 days out...

I'm trying to find a Jetta to be my next project vehicle.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris if it doesn't have to be a new motor check over on TDIclub.com you could probably find a good used motor.

Thanks Mark, it doesn't have to be new... but if I'm gonna put the family in it I want it to be reliable...

Blown as in how? Timing belt or Swoled?

Owner says it is locked up...:doh: He said, he had someone pull the head and told him that 2 or 3 rods are broke... "But it never knocked!!!" So it sound like it is a basket case and he is a retard that is why a new or rebuilt complete engine might be best...

I would say get the car and look at the engine first then make a desicion weather to just rebuild the current engine or get a used or rebuilt one.

I would say get the car and look at the engine first then make a desicion weather to just rebuild the current engine or get a used or rebuilt one.

Thats what I'm thinking, but hard to justify the $ for a basket case... I gotta go up and look at it and see how bad it is...

thing is if the motor is in bad shape with broken rods and a basket case just replace it but if it was something else it might be cheaper to just rebuild the motor. Just stay away from the automatics.

It is a manual with 153,xxx miles.... he said he's owned it since 87,xxx miles. It also has a salvage title. He bought it with the salvage and said it drives and ran good until it quit. I asked about tire wear and he said the RF tire wears out in about 15,000 miles so I'm guessing it was wrecked and not quite properly repaired... He is asking $1750. I don't know if there are enough negatives (basket case engine, salvage title, possible chassis/alignment issues) that I should just run away from it, or if the low price is worth picking it up and starting from scratch with it and building up a good little car???

What do you guys think???

Throw another 2k in with what he is asking and find one that does not have a salvage title or other chassis issues, not to mention runs and drives.

Throw another 2k in with what he is asking and find one that does not have a salvage title or other chassis issues, not to mention runs and drives.

Cool, I was hoping you would chime in on this Billy... I need to find one! Let me know if you see one...

Thanks!!!

Agree with Billy. I would maybe give him a grand for it. You cand find a good used motor for about 1000. A good aligment would take care of the tire wear issue.

Of course if you cant do the motor work your self it going to be another 1000 to install it.

At that point I would just buy an already running one. Just remember that it will more then likely need a TB.

I would make dang sure it needs a motor when I bought my car I was told it need a motor and it turned out to be a locked up alternator. FYI

Mike

Back