any ideas???

Powerstroke Racer

Comp Diesel Sponsor
What might have caused this, 30,000 on a rebuild.

only one piston showed valve contact,
2012-10-31_18-15-34_882.jpg

2012-10-31_18-15-48_84.jpg

Looks like someone tried to adjust the valve lash and didn't do it quite right.

How did this happen tho? Going down the road? On start up? Idel? Etc.

Holy crap What cam? Seems the valves where misadjusted! Takes alot to bend those rods so a serious bind occurred or over rev with weak springs!?

Stock build 30,000 miles ago, said it was running fine one day and started the engine up the next morning and made a funny noise. Problem is he took it to another shop that supposedly just looked at but when we got it the rocker arm hold downs were all loose and the valve cover and aluminum spacer were clean of any oil.
The biggest problem that I have is him wanting me to warranty this, I don't mind putting some push rods back in but I would like an acceptable reason why this happened.

I would ask him to see a recipt from the other shop before you warrenty the truck. That way you don't cover up their mistake. And make sure you explain to him that you don't mind throwing in some push rods but covering up other shops mistakes is not what your warrenty is for.

I'm betting they tried to adjust the lash and did did 90* off of #1 or #6.

Another shop touched it, all bets are off and warranty is void. A clean rocker box is enough proof that another shop was in it and multiple pushrods don't get screwed up for no reason.

You would be a fool to warranty this mistake. This sounds clearly like the owners or the other shops mistake.

Looks like they pulled the push rods and didnt get them back in the lifters right before cranking the truck over

Last edited:
Another shop touched it, all bets are off and warranty is void. A clean rocker box is enough proof that another shop was in it and multiple pushrods don't get screwed up for no reason.

I run a shop also and though I TOTALLY agree with this comment on principle sometimes a happy customer is better as long as you explain why your being the "Good Guy"and helping them.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like they pulled the push rods and didnt get them back in the lifters right before cranking the truck over

I'm with you, Jeremy. I've seen bent pushrods, but I've never seen the lifter ends break off like that before. An issue with bind would cause the bends, but those with the ends broken appear to be straight.

I could see how it could happen. I almost did it once myself, fortunately my double check caught it. Since then my paranoia makes me re-seat every one and feel the extra weight of the lifter once its engaged.

David, did the above picture come after the "fine one day, funny noise the next" or was that what made him take it to the other shop? Either way, that didn't happen shut down in a driveway over night.

Agreed, other shop touches it, warranty void. That just doesn't happen.

Back