Any improvements on the Gt4094R yet?

I can get my hx60 lit by 2200 rpm and it's much bigger than the gt4202 mine has a 1.15 t6 on it so it may work may not LOL either way I'll have fun

a6cd8adf-e273-0c61.jpg

Boost on left, drive on right. GT4094r with .85 A/R on 5.9 with 181/210 cam.

Needless to say...wasn't on long.

Oh wow you are going big I would think the GTX 4294 would be about perfect for that. That is just an educated guess though the AR still gets me it is kinda big for the street. What kind of power do you want to make it looks like you are going for the 850-900 range?

I'll have to talk to Tom about my options but I don't think I want the gtx. Seems like it adds another $1000 just for the wheel. I'm thinking about 900 max. I'll have to see if its enough.

Sorry in advance for the Novel. Someone chime in here when I'm wrong.

I like the idea of the Garrett BB design so I tried it. and trus far, I hate it. And the more I get to know about Garrett turbos and their limited aftermarket, the less I like them for diesel applications. Our trucks run better, especially 6.7's with bigger turbines. The first problem is Garrett pairs weak flowing compressors with tiny turbines in loose housings.

Garrett uses their turbines inducer or major for their advertising number where as BW, II, HTT, ED use the turbines exducer or minor for their advertising number. When I bought my 3788R i thought I had bought a II Silver Series size turbine with a decent compressor. WRONG. It flows like a 62 non-ETT, spools like a Silver Bullet, and surges on my un-cammed 03 like i'm running an early 11 blade 66/71. How a compressor that only flows 67lbs/min surges up to 1,800rpm is beyond me. When you get into large frame garretts they all use tiny little turbine wheels with housing way to big for us to spool. the 4094R comp wheel is equal in flow to a BW 64ETT. I think the pefect Garrett streetable single would be a Hybrid custom. 4094 or 4294 comp wheel, 4094 comp cover, 42R turbine wheel, with a .78 or .82 divided T3 turbine housing, externally gated of course.

Garrett Turbines-

37R-72.5mm x 66.7mm= BW 65- 74mm x 64mm. With less overall surface area it stands to reason it flows less. and the smallest housing you can get for it is a .89. I don't know anyone running a a BW 64/65/16. That's just odd. The comp wheel has the mass of a 64 yet only flows 67-73lbs/min which is BW 62mm territory. 3788R= EPIC FAIL

40R- 77mm x ?= BW 68- 76.3mm x 67.mm. Seems like a decent choice wheel for a street 5.9. Deffinintely not a good choice for a 6.7. And the tightest housing you can get is a T4 .85A/R. Not my first choice when going for a single charger.

42R- 82mm x ?= BW S300 73 or 74. Depends on who sold it. 80mm x 73.4mm, back clipped to reduce mass. BW S400 74 or 75. Depends on who sold it. 83mm x 74.7mm. So a 42R is a good size turbine for a cammed 5.9 or a hot street 6.7. But with turbine A/R's of 1.01 and up, what's the point? My 04.5 has a Maxspool 2.5++ and TNT-R and had a Silver Bullet. It didnt spool until 2,000rpm. I streeted it. But, it wasn't fun or easy.

As far as the turbine A/R issues, I'm trying to get Tom to look into at 3582R turbine housing to see what he can stuff in there. Going off of what I've seen Bullseye do, I think Tom may be able to get a 42R turbine stuffed in a divided T3 .78 housing. If Bullseye and the BW guy's can stuff a 80x73 wheel in a S200 turbine housing it'd seem to reason it could be done with a Garrett. I'm waiting for a response back from Tom on this now.

Link to the Garrett housing and all the A/R options- Garrett GT3582R Ball Bearing Turbo - GT35R (600 HP) [714568 , 706451] - $1,245.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake

Link to the S200 6 bolt outlet housing that Beans, ATS, and Bullseye use- Beans Diesel Performance - 94-02 Cummins BDP Whiplash 64 Turbo (Powered by CubeCart)

I'd like to continue usining Garrett's but, unless someone starts making housings for their smaller turbo's, I'm going back to BW.

How bout it FI? Is it even worth trying?

Last edited:
I agree with several of your issues. I have a 4094R secondary charger with a .95 housing and it spools just fine even though it has to suck through a gt55 to get started. It moves a good quantity of air at a low PR(good for twins), but would probably choke on top(without an external gate) like you have found. Personally I think the BW units have them beat in a diesel application because the Garrett turbines are either too small or too big. I was going through thrust bearings twice a year on the BW secondary and finally had to try something else. It will be interesting to see what happens when we get the 6.7 swapped into my truck. I am going to start with the same turbo's, but will go to a 94mm compressor wheel on the GT55. If the 4094 no longer cuts it I'll have to either go with a GT4294(turbine is probably on the big side) or the S366/73(or 74, don't remember what it measures) and the T4 housing.

a true S366 is a 80x73, HTT calls it a 73, II calls it a 74, ED calls it a 74.

I'm surprised you like that 4094 with a .95 T4. That seems huge for a 5.9. But judging by your set up youre running a ton of fuel. I think that 4094 should do just fine with a larger primary. It'd keep your driveability the same at least. you may even want to wg it and divert the extra energy into to the primary to help spoolup the primary. I doubt your .95 T4 is choking your setup but if it is a wg would definitly cure that problem.

forgot you were putting those on a 6.7 I don't think the 42R turbine would be too small even with a 1.01AR on a 6.7. Ive seen videos of a 6.7 spool a S478 like a 5.9's spools a Silver Bullet! Rediculous!

If you go by the way bw measures there turbos wouldn't the gt4202 be a 74/75? I'm in the process of putting one on my truck with a 1.15 t6 just had to finish the piping and test drive it.

Sorry in advance for the Novel. Someone chime in here when I'm wrong.

I like the idea of the Garrett BB design so I tried it. and trus far, I hate it. And the more I get to know about Garrett turbos and their limited aftermarket, the less I like them for diesel applications. Our trucks run better, especially 6.7's with bigger turbines. The first problem is Garrett pairs weak flowing compressors with tiny turbines in loose housings.

Garrett uses their turbines inducer or major for their advertising number where as BW, II, HTT, ED use the turbines exducer or minor for their advertising number. When I bought my 3788R i thought I had bought a II Silver Series size turbine with a decent compressor. WRONG. It flows like a 62 non-ETT, spools like a Silver Bullet, and surges on my un-cammed 03 like i'm running an early 11 blade 66/71. How a compressor that only flows 67lbs/min surges up to 1,800rpm is beyond me. When you get into large frame garretts they all use tiny little turbine wheels with housing way to big for us to spool. the 4094R comp wheel is equal in flow to a BW 64ETT. I think the pefect Garrett streetable single would be a Hybrid custom. 4094 or 4294 comp wheel, 4094 comp cover, 42R turbine wheel, with a .78 or .82 divided T3 turbine housing, externally gated of course.

Garrett Turbines-

37R-72.5mm x 66.7mm= BW 65- 74mm x 64mm. With less overall surface area it stands to reason it flows less. and the smallest housing you can get for it is a .89. I don't know anyone running a a BW 64/65/16. That's just odd. The comp wheel has the mass of a 64 yet only flows 67-73lbs/min which is BW 62mm territory. 3788R= EPIC FAIL

40R- 77mm x ?= BW 68- 76.3mm x 67.mm. Seems like a decent choice wheel for a street 5.9. Deffinintely not a good choice for a 6.7. And the tightest housing you can get is a T4 .85A/R. Not my first choice when going for a single charger.

42R- 82mm x ?= BW S300 73 or 74. Depends on who sold it. 80mm x 73.4mm, back clipped to reduce mass. BW S400 74 or 75. Depends on who sold it. 83mm x 74.7mm. So a 42R is a good size turbine for a cammed 5.9 or a hot street 6.7. But with turbine A/R's of 1.01 and up, what's the point? My 04.5 has a Maxspool 2.5++ and TNT-R and had a Silver Bullet. It didnt spool until 2,000rpm. I streeted it. But, it wasn't fun or easy.

As far as the turbine A/R issues, I'm trying to get Tom to look into at 3582R turbine housing to see what he can stuff in there. Going off of what I've seen Bullseye do, I think Tom may be able to get a 42R turbine stuffed in a divided T3 .78 housing. If Bullseye and the BW guy's can stuff a 80x73 wheel in a S200 turbine housing it'd seem to reason it could be done with a Garrett. I'm waiting for a response back from Tom on this now.

Link to the Garrett housing and all the A/R options- Garrett GT3582R Ball Bearing Turbo - GT35R (600 HP) [714568 , 706451] - $1,245.00 : Himni Racing, Turbocharger, Turbo, Garrett, Turbo Kit, GReddy, Mazda RX-7, HKS, Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TurboSmart, Flange, Turbonetics, Exhaust, Intercooler, ACT, Intake

Link to the S200 6 bolt outlet housing that Beans, ATS, and Bullseye use- Beans Diesel Performance - 94-02 Cummins BDP Whiplash 64 Turbo (Powered by CubeCart)

I'd like to continue usining Garrett's but, unless someone starts making housings for their smaller turbo's, I'm going back to BW.

How bout it FI? Is it even worth trying?

You will see a GTX42 unit soon....65 and 67mm comp wheels. They are ordered already for a few customers...we are just waiting on delivery. Coupled with a .98A/R housing it should be a wonderful setup.

If you go by the way bw measures there turbos wouldn't the gt4202 be a 74/75? I'm in the process of putting one on my truck with a 1.15 t6 just had to finish the piping and test drive it.

Yes its a 74/75. The GTX is a 76/75

You will see a GTX42 unit soon....65 and 67mm comp wheels. They are ordered already for a few customers...we are just waiting on delivery. Coupled with a .98A/R housing it should be a wonderful setup.

That'd still be a bit too big for a drop in cammed 5.9 to daily drive in my opinion. But that should be any amazing setup for a 6.7.

Mighty just a thought but you might want to think about playing with your valve adjustment. I have I 3788r stage 2 housings with 4094 wheels. At stock valve adjustment it would surge about 25psi. Started playing with the valves. Right now I'm at .008 and .017 and have not noticed that surge anymore. It may have moved it to where i rarely will ever see but it did change it.

Back