any updates on the 6.4?

rednck21 said:
are these going to be available in 07?

I have heard of some on other forums that have ordered '07s and they are still the 6.0. I think they have pushed it back to '08.

they could be swapping half way through the year like they did in 03 with the 7.3/6.0. i guess time will tell..

I hope that FURD takes their time on this motor and doesn't push it into production like they did the 6.0. I would rather see it RIGHT in '08 than Half-ASSED in '07......

4S FED said:
I hope that FURD takes their time on this motor and doesn't push it into production like they did the 6.0. I would rather see it RIGHT in '08 than Half-ASSED in '07......

If its a repeat of the 6.0 they are out of the diesel business.

The 6.0 is the best thing that ever happened to a Dodge dealer first and a GM dealer second.

In the last 2 months I have received 2 mailings from FoMoCo and 3 from my 6liter dealer 'reminding' me about the additional $2500 rebate for 03/04 owners. The best was my former salesman who I'm casual friends with calling me all excited before this was ever public and when he was done talking I just sat there silent thinking so what's your point?

I do feel bad for him because the only thing on the lot that sells is Mustang GT's but then again there is Honda, Toyota and Dodge dealers down the street and all three of those manu's are selling cars and making a profit for their shareholders right now.

His problem not mine.

TooMuchBoost said:
If its a repeat of the 6.0 they are out of the diesel business.

The 6.0 is the best thing that ever happened to a Dodge dealer first and a GM dealer second.

In the last 2 months I have received 2 mailings from FoMoCo and 3 from my 6liter dealer 'reminding' me about the additional $2500 rebate for 03/04 owners. The best was my former salesman who I'm casual friends with calling me all excited before this was ever public and when he was done talking I just sat there silent thinking so what's your point?

I do feel bad for him because the only thing on the lot that sells is Mustang GT's but then again there is Honda, Toyota and Dodge dealers down the street and all three of those manu's are selling cars and making a profit for their shareholders right now.

His problem not mine.

I agree with you on this rap of the 6.0, BOOST. But I haven't had any problems w/ mine... My SRT-10 Ram has had MANY issues. I guess it all depends on what day of the week they're built, I guess. :confused: LOL I LOVE the look of the (Pre-'06) Dodge, but I like the build quality of the Ford, overall. I guess I just got a good 6.0... :ugh: :smileglasses:

The 6.0 is like a snow flake....each one is different. least every once ive ever driven was LOL

Latest from Ford is the 6.4 heads are too wide and won't fit the E series van. Engine is on engineering hold. Twin turbo V6 is doing well in Europe.
mike

I have two 03 6 liter motors and both of them have right around 75k miles. My dually has never had anything done to it, period. Tip top. My dd truck, the F250 has have 5 injectors replaced during it's life, and an EGR valve replaced not that long ago, not a big deal there and just recently started having trouble with the turbo sticking.

I agree with the snow flake theory. I've known some that have had serious issues and had Ford buy them back.

yep sredish! my buddy had one that was strong as an ox and only went to the shop for maintenance...he had a second that had all more injectors replaced than it has cylinders, turbo, egr, and various other things. Even had the tranny take itself apart while goin down the road HAHA guess he didnt get the snap ring recall....

I agree all 6 liters are different. I had a May/03 motor that had between 363 and 411 HP at the wheels 99% of its 65K miles and it didn't puke, fry injectors or even hurt the tranny and I beat it like a red-headed stepchild.

I just talked to my favorite 6 liter mechanic and he too said the Jan 1 2006 6 liters have the 6.4 head.

He also was told the ECM is supposed to be mod-proof per the EPA. He also heard only 4 of 20-some 6.4 liters that went to AZ for abuse testing made it back in running condition.

Take that for what it is.

TooMuchBoost said:
He also heard only 4 of 20-some 6.4 liters that went to AZ for abuse testing made it back in running condition.

Take that for what it is.

That's not good. I hope they push the release date back until they get it right, I don't think Ford can afford another 1st year problem child.
They have alot of ground to makeup

i concur pete...if they dont hit the nail on the head, it will be the end of the ford diesel devision...i think they should buy the damn international motor, NOT mess with it.....and it will be fine!

TwiztedMetal said:
i concur pete...if they dont hit the nail on the head, it will be the end of the ford diesel devision...i think they should buy the damn international motor, NOT mess with it.....and it will be fine!

Using International's electronics is the key, I do believe

i concur scott....they changed alot of things on the VT365 to make it their own, which they shouldnt have because the VT is the bomb the way it was!

They should have stayed with the 7.3!!!!......best motor they had...and im afraid dodge may be making the same mistake....should leave well enough alone...imop

HOTROD said:
They should have stayed with the 7.3!!!!......best motor they had...and im afraid dodge may be making the same mistake....should leave well enough alone...imop

Contrary to popular belief, I agree! :aiwebs_029: BUT.... The 7.3 has NO WAY of being converted to the goofy specs that the government mandates for 2007 Diesel enigines. :(

what it boils down to is people (beauracrats) making decisions (laws / regulations) about things (pollution/emission requirements) they really have no clue about (diesel motors and how they work).

what I'm afraid of is that the 08 6.4L motor will be like the 95 Chevy 454 I have. Early Chevy TBI motor that was hit with serious emission requirements that basically turned it into an anchor, with a 225 hp rating. Not long after, Chevy figured out what needed to be done and started building strong motors that were adapted to the emission regs. It's not that the 6.4 can't do it, but at the moment, they're reacting to regulations. With a little time, Ford, and the other mfg's., will have the regs figured out, and the hp numbers will come up to what they should be and the motors will operate how they should. For the beginning of this new "era" in diesel regulations, the motor will just have to be detuned.

Last edited:
Well, I am sure they realize whats at stake by getting it, or not getting it right. Unfortunatly, the bean counters run major companies now, and they will do a cost/benefit analysis on releasing it as is vs holding out and losing market share.

I am very happy with my 03, although I have had some problems, and continue to have lazy injector issues, but I am taking it in and getting them replaced one by one, and it runs like a champ. EGR is no longer an issue, and I guess I heat the turbo up enough, it hasn't stuck on me!

Back