Any VW Tranny experts in the house?

Billysgoat

The ANTI-BLING!
Just picked up an 02 Jetta that has what I think are control issues in the tranny, auto with 164k on the clock. Right now it has no reverse or neutral, acts like it is still in park in anything but drive. When in drive it will act half normal for about 30ft then upshift or kick out of gear, then comes back down hard like it's trying to go into reverse or park.

The ones I've drove have issues show up at 60k. I'm not sure if it comes front the computer or the valve body. I'll see what the VW tech says after while.

This one is about 100k past that so I'm hoping for the best LOL

To me it feels more like a control issue than anything, hoping that's the case.

I suppose I'm a somewhat of a vw tranny expert, I only open up manuals though for good reason. The O1M auto's are barely worth their weight as an anchor. They have aluminum clutch drums and are very prone to hard parts failures; which it sounds like you may very well have at some level. Your best (and surprisingly cheapest) bet is to swap over to a 5 speed, or a 6 speed if you have the extra cash. Poke around on tdiclub as texascadillac42 suggested. There's a couple of really complete auto to manual swap threads.

One nice thing is that you have an 11mm injection pump. Manual transmission cars came with a 10mm. An 11mm pump, race injectors, bigger turbo, and supporting airflow mods will put you right around 200whp and 350+ lb/ft. It makes for one hell of a little sleeper.

Damn, I completely forgot about this.

Remind me next time Billy!

I suppose I'm a somewhat of a vw tranny expert, I only open up manuals though for good reason. The O1M auto's are barely worth their weight as an anchor. They have aluminum clutch drums and are very prone to hard parts failures; which it sounds like you may very well have at some level. Your best (and surprisingly cheapest) bet is to swap over to a 5 speed, or a 6 speed if you have the extra cash. Poke around on tdiclub as texascadillac42 suggested. There's a couple of really complete auto to manual swap threads.

One nice thing is that you have an 11mm injection pump. Manual transmission cars came with a 10mm. An 11mm pump, race injectors, bigger turbo, and supporting airflow mods will put you right around 200whp and 350+ lb/ft. It makes for one hell of a little sleeper.

I wondered about doing the swap myself, but really haven't had much free time to research it :bang Knowing it has been done is half the battle :rockwoot:

Damn, I completely forgot about this.

Remind me next time Billy!

Ok, you are reminded :poke:

I wondered about doing the swap myself, but really haven't had much free time to research it :bang Knowing it has been done is half the battle :rockwoot:
It's actually rather easy, I helped a friend do it on his wagon. VW's are very much like legos. All the auto parts pull out, and the manual stuff bolts right in. Biggest PITA of the whole project is dealing with the spaghetti that used to go to the slushbox.

It's actually rather easy, I helped a friend do it on his wagon. VW's are very much like legos. All the auto parts pull out, and the manual stuff bolts right in. Biggest PITA of the whole project is dealing with the spaghetti that used to go to the slushbox.

Yeah, I've noticed, been reading up on one massive swap thread (Project Kill the Auto Wabbit!) and haven't made it to the end yet LOL Looks like if I can get cruise etc to work a swap is gonna happen.

i agree with Whitbread the vw autos are crap.. if it was low miles you could probably get away with the line pressure mod..and changing your fluid every 15k miles . your symptoms and miles suggest its pretty toast. I'd look for a parts 5spd car to swap with.
Thanks
deo

Found one last weekend, everything needed should be in the bed of my truck now :D

Nice! You'll find that the swap really isn't that hard. If you've got the cash, spring for a peloquin or wavetrac LSD. They're worth their weight in gold. A taller 5th gear is really nice too but you can do it with the trans in the car so it can wait if you don't have the cash.

It doesn't look hard atall, wiring looks to be the hardest part of it just due to all the bending over LOL Got a clutch coming and will be tackling it next week.

Well, the clutch I picked is coming from a local shop, and better be here Monday! LOL I wanted a South Bend, but just do not have the change to spare for one right now, to much other stuff it HAS to have :bang

What's it rated for though? That's the important thing. A tdi with decent injectors, aggressive tune, and a lift pump will make over 300ft/lbs at the crank. My motor is going to make alot more than that so I sourced an appropriate clutch; rated to 650 ft/lbs. I don't want to talk about the price though....

clutch.jpg

discs.jpg

No clue, I'll still be using the stock flywheel and pressure plate, the pressure plate is gonna get massaged a bit to increase clamp load. I'm looking at this clutch as a stopgap measure, it will outperform the factory unit by a good bit, price is right, and if I have issues with it the shipping time is real quick. I'm still not 100% sure just how far I want to push this dude, so it'll work for now.

Stock as in tdi or stock and in a vr6 pp and disk with a smf? If you're running a stock tdi dmf, you're a brave man.

Brave or stupid, we'll see which! LOL LOL

The good news is this tranny is nice and light and easy to pull compared to the truck!

Back