anybody able to fix a/w coolers

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Is there anyone on the East Coast who has the tools and means to fix A/W intercoolers? Need some one asap!!!!!! And they have to be close to me. I have a week to get this done and back in the truck. Cores are fine but the great guys at precision only half welded the cores and now they are separating and pulling away from the top water tank

They dont feel like covering the damage? Anyone good with a tig welder should be ok

Welding is the easy part. Getting it cut apart with out getting shavings in the cores is the hard part. Spoke with a drag racer today that does some stuff for me and he said it's not that easy of a job

As for warranty I just found it separating so I have not spoke to them but my time frame is short and they are slow

Got band saws, plasma torch and a mill down here if you need it. And hammers too....

Thanks but if I have a guy who builds drag cars and uses these coolers on them and he says it's not a good idea to mess with them with out the proper equipment to cut them open then I'm not going to attempt it myself

Cut the tank welds with a 4.5" or 6" cut-off wheel. Don't cut all the way through. Take a chisel and finish the separation.

...curious, how did you know the cores were coming loose?

I tried to make a pass and it was like I had my water injection back on and way to heavy. So I pulled the cooler tubes to find a inch of water in it. So I filled the water box up so I could find the leak. Noticed the cores were separated and the weld in the center has a small crack in it and you can see the cores distortion above and below the weld

Last edited:
Oooooh. So, not only are the cores loose, but they are letting water into your intake. Ouch.

yep, very good advice from the gentleman above. You had best warrantee that one. Once you start your own repair, it's yours for sure.

Already spoke to precision and they don't warranty coolers. So I'm stuck fixing it myself

Guess I wont be buying anything from Precision..........
That, IMHO, is a manufacturing defect if not welded completely.

Guess I wont be buying anything from Precision..........
That, IMHO, is a manufacturing defect if not welded completely.

Spoke with the guys from chiseled performance and for the same money as the base pt2000 you can get a diesel ready 3000 from them. Precision wants $4500 for the same thing

Thank you sir for that info. I have been looking to purchase an intercooler.

I have the 4 core chiseled on both of our trucks. I'm actually selling them to go to the precision 4 core. Never had any issues. Just for future plans if we decide to make some passes in super stock form

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 4 core chiseled on both of our trucks. I'm actually selling them to go to the precision 4 core. Never had any issues. Just for future plans if we decide to make some passes in super stock form

Curious what makes you want to switch. Cant be the cores since they are the same. Is precisons end tanks that much better? Since there is a huge price hike on the precision stuff.

Curious what makes you want to switch. Cant be the cores since they are the same. Is precisons end tanks that much better? Since there is a huge price hike on the precision stuff.

If I never had any intentions of jumping up and playing in super stock a few occasions I wouldn't swap because they work fine but in SS they swell the tanks out.

but in SS they swell the tanks out.

What boost pressures are you seeing to swell the tanks? As long as they don't rupture, they should be fine. Also, out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of the coolers for sale and do they have swollen tanks?

I just dont see the reason for the huge price hike for just alittle bit thicker tanks. The material doesnt cost that much different.

I have some big AW coolers for sale... they are not light with the stainless cores and the removable 1/4 aluminum end tanks. But for a puller it wouldnt matter.

Back