Anyone ever seen a CR get hot enough to do this?

texascadillac42

Customer brought an 05 CR (auction truck he just got) to the shop the other day, missing on 1 or 2 cylinders, odd chugging sound out of the exhaust, metallic tapping from somewhere in the motor and some whitish smoke out of the oil fill cap.

Was throwing codes for Cyl 5 and 6 not firing, as well as a few other unrelated codes. Codes were cleared and they came back immediately, before the truck was even started. Valve cover was pulled and the first thing I noticed was that all the plastic under the valve cover was melted. Crankcase breather assembly, plastic retaining rings for the rocker arms, plastic clips for injector wiring harnesses, all melted into blobs or totally missing.

Ran it with the valve cover off for a few minutes and noticed some coolant bubbles coming out of the headgasket right between exhaust ports 3 and 4, also noticed that several rockers had a ton of valve lash (like 1/16th inch or more)

Decided to pull the head figuring that some valve seats may have dropped. As I took the valve cover base off, I saw that the injector wiring harness for cyl 5 and 6 were melted together into one blob (that explains those codes... :bang)

Valve stem height all seemed to be the same, and after pulling the head this was confirmed. No visual evidence of valve, valve seat or piston damage.

Cylinder walls all have vertical marks on them, not enough to catch your nail on but some fairly significant scuffing, and the pistons all have quite a bit of side to side play, both parallel and perpendicular to the piston pin.

Cutting the oil filter apart showed some small metal chunks in the filter, and the thermostat and cooling passages were all covered in an oily slime.

Obviously the motor has seen a rough life and should come completely apart, I was just curious if anyone had seen a motor get hot enough, for long enough to melt all the plastic and injector wiring harnesses together?

Just got some pictures. After looking at the bores a little more, I have found that you can catch a nail on several of the vertical scuffs, down towards the bottom of each bore.

DSC03151.jpg

DSC03152.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

DSC03155.jpg

DSC03157.jpg

I'm guessing not changing the oil on a regular basis and running it low on oil. Also the headgasket has probably been leaking for a while and it was low on coolant and run hot....death combo.

Thats how you bored your cylinder walls in the shop while you were drunk huh devin??? :lolly:

You should probably run a drill operated ball hone down each hole to break the glaze, install a new set of rings, new head gasket, used wiring harness, and slap it all back together.

That motor's just getting good and broken in......

Nice and loose, ready for big POWER!!

You should probably run a drill operated ball hone down each hole to break the glaze, install a new set of rings, new head gasket, used wiring harness, and slap it all back together.

That motor's just getting good and broken in......

Nice and loose, ready for big POWER!!

1000HP fuel only :hehe:

i have seen an audi get so hot it melted the inside of the valve cover and it made its way to the oil pan where it stuck to the pick up and locked the motor up

Back