Anyone ever tap the compressor housing for a boost gauge?

cumminsX

Can't make up my mind
I was wondering if it is ok to drill and tap the compressor housing on my primary for a boost gauge, or if I should just get a bung and weld it into the cold pipe. Where is everyone mounting there guage for primary boost? Any pics? Thanks.

I put mine on the cold pipe because its up on top and easy to remove to work on.

if there is a wastegate line on it just put a t-fitting in it but if you have a adjustable wastegate make sure the t is on the compressor side. ive done several duamaxes like this (lb7) to keep from drilling pipes. always worked fine.

Yes, you can tap the compressor outlet. Works fine, just get all the metal shavings out of there before you fire it up.

There is no wastegate line, this is on an s480 housing. I would probably put it in the cold pipe but I can't seem to find anywhere around here that has a bung. I guess I'll look online.

I have done several s400 housings that way. I would put it somewhere else probably though.

My 400 compressor housing has two 1/8" ports on it.

Is this so you can see before and after boost readings or do you just want the reading to come from there? I wonder how much of a drop you will get from the intercooler?

Is this so you can see before and after boost readings or do you just want the reading to come from there? I wonder how much of a drop you will get from the intercooler?

ED set mine up this way. I use them to give the wastegate boost when i'm running the gate (not running it currently). I've also used it in the past to feed a quick spool flange a boost signal.

It is just so I can see what the primary charger is doing in my compound setup, then I can see if I need to do some wastegate adjustment. Right now I am just flying blind. I have a 62/71/14 over an S480 and I am seeing about 70psi max, it runs good but there may be a sweet spot that I don't know about yet because I haven't done any "tuning" yet.

Back