Anyone ever weigh there engine?

TDX

Just interested if anyone has scaled a 5.9 with only the bare minimum. No fan, alternator, p/s pump, vacuum pump, Nothing. Just Race trim. Single turbo or twin?

Cummins crate motor :)

If memory serves me correctly, or perhaps Chris remebers, but I believe the GBL on this one was around 1,800lbs. It doesn't have the fan, alternator, p/s pump, vacuum pump etc... but you can see it has the 4 disc clutch and can and I would gess them at approx 200lbs another 75lbs for the pallet and crating maybe and your looking at around 1,500lbs give or take.

pulling_motor_3.jpg

pulling_motor_out.jpg

pulling_motor_5.jpg

Stuff~~element141.jpg

BBD

Holy crap. That seems pretty heavy. From all the specs I have read a factory engine ready to drop in the hole with accessories is around 1000 to 1100.
Did that engine in the picture have weight added to the rotating assembly and mammoth sized flywheel.
My guess was closer to 800.
A complete head 130 to 150 lbs (dam heavy movin it around garage)
Crank maybe 80 to 100 lbs
Give or take 10 lbs hangin in each rod journal= 60 lbs
P pump 35 to 45 lbs
Turbo and exhaust manifold 30 to 50 lbs
Cam, oil pump, water pump, main caps 60 to 70 lbs
The bare block? It's on my engine stand? 250 to 300 ?
Lots of little stuff, fasteners, push rods, lifters, oil pan, front cover, gears

800 to 850?

You're a little light on most everything.
24v loaded head without rockers, etc: 165lbs.
Crank: 126lb
damper: 26lb
My 12v with just damper and twins nosed out at 1150. No accessories and electric waterpump.

You're a little light on most everything.
24v loaded head without rockers, etc: 165lbs.
Crank: 126lb
damper: 26lb
My 12v with just damper and twins nosed out at 1150. No accessories and electric waterpump.

Interesting. Thank you. I'll be scaling mine when I'm done. Just wanted to see some numbers.

24v shortblock (no head, tappet cover, or timing gear housing) was 619 sitting on a pallet. Add 165 for head, 10 for head bolts, 10 for rockers, 5 for tappet cover, 10 for timing gear housing and you are at about 820 for the longblock (no pump, exhaust, turbo, injectors, lines, balancer) maybe 175 for those items. You are looking at 1000 lbs with no accessories.

24v shortblock (no head, tappet cover, or timing gear housing) was 619 sitting on a pallet. Add 165 for head, 10 for head bolts, 10 for rockers, 5 for tappet cover, 10 for timing gear housing and you are at about 820 for the longblock (no pump, exhaust, turbo, injectors, lines, balancer) maybe 175 for those items. You are looking at 1000 lbs with no accessories.

Thanks

These where the weights of our 12valve before we had it all put together for our Super Mod we are building. At 6000lbs weight is very critical and everything in the entrire truck is getting weighed on its own.

Engine Weight:
Parts: Weight
Block 280
Main Caps 22
Pistons 54
Rockers,Oil Pump,injectors 38
Oil Pan, Pickup tube(industrail)14
Cam Shaft & Tappets 27
Push Rods,Springs, Studs 14.5
Head (plenum cut off) 103
Crank Shaft 123
Harmonic Balancer 26
Girdle 18

All the 24V heads we've weighed have been around 178# bare - nothing left but core plugs... assembled with the overhead runs just over 200.

6.7L are almost 1lb lighter due to their larger ports.

The weights on the supermod are really interesting. It will be cool on my build to compare all of the number in this post to mine. I won't tell me what exact mods u guys are makin. It is just enough info to know that there is some creative engine builds on the go. Cyl. Head weight is a good one. You don't know what flow numbers are but pound for pound you can tell who has been busy with the die grinder. There is alot more info in the numbers like crank/ bob weight too. Nice!

The one I posted pics of was before the counter wiegthed crank, doen't include the S/S intake, marine rods not the bilet ones, and it had the full on head not the new one so it wasn't shaved or ported, and no oil.

BBD

Back