Anyone know what this?

lews930

NOT A DIESEL PRO
93 w250. Cummins.

Noticed some wires that corroded to the point that they fell apart

Does it have anything to do with my headlights not working???

I've tried the high beam as others have suggested but mo luck

Thank you

Attachments

• 20191227_113547.jpg
    20191227_113547.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 0
93 w250. Cummins.

Noticed some wires that corroded to the point that they fell apart

Does it have anything to do with my headlights not working???

I've tried the high beam as others have suggested but mo luck

Thank you
Fusable link.

I'd say if you follow the wires it should run to your grid heater relays which are to the right of your hand in that picture

Fusible link, they basically cause the biggest issues in a 1stgen.
The next biggest issue is the crap wiring. :hehe:

Point is, they are a universe of their own.

Mark.

I think it's more of a junction. But I could be wrong. The wire leading to the "junction" is HUGE. the wires coming out of it are much smaller and have fusible links in them

I think it's more of a junction. But I could be wrong. The wire leading to the "junction" is HUGE. the wires coming out of it are much smaller and have fusible links in them

That's how I understood it.

I chopped it and all the fusible links out of my harness a long time ago.

What was your solution instead? Fuse panel under the hood?

My wiring is a mess. One fuse box out of a Cadillac, one out of a boat, and multiple relay boxes out of Nissans. And a dozen different types of wires because I was poor and scrounging when I did it all. I was definitely going for the Millenium Falcon/ Back to the Future look.

Nissan has excellent relays for custom work, they're all modular. At the time I had a sharp Napa guy who was able to get me all the stock-style crimp-on pins for the relay sockets.

I have two batteries on an isolator, the starter and "necessary for operation" circuits on the front battery and all the "household", non-critical accessories running off a battery behind the passenger seat. One big inverter running my pressure washer water injection system, one small one powering a 24 volt power supply for some telemetry stuff and vent vacuum solenoids.

I should have made diagrams because I have no idea how things are really wired anymore. I do know remember that I have the alternator field coil on a switch so I can turn off the alternator for a few extra horsepower. The steering wheel can trigger three different horns. I have optional full manual control of my reverse lights. I'm still trying to remember what a few switches do.

Last edited:
Did you you ever get the pressure washer methanol injection off the ground?

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

My wiring is a mess. One fuse box out of a Cadillac, one out of a boat, and multiple relay boxes out of Nissans. And a dozen different types of wires because I was poor and scrounging when I did it all. I was definitely going for the Millenium Falcon/ Back to the Future look.

I always dream of a modern fuse box with relays and fuses under the hood of my 91. I even have a spare 03-05 Dodge gas engine fuse box on the shelf, but the truck runs as is. With a spare fuse holder in my glove box and wiring tools somewhere in the cab if one fuse-able link fails on the road.

Did you you ever get the pressure washer methanol injection off the ground?

Yeah, worked great, pretty sure I was injecting way too much. Will get it going on my new engine once I have rings seated and EGT's above 1000 F.

Bussman makes some nice sealed enclosure distribution blocks with DTP connectors for the wiring connection. I'll see if I can get a picture of one.

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

So, I’m not familiar at all with the 1st Gens and this is the first time I’ve heard of these wiring issues. I’m doing this D150 swap, so I’ll address them then. My plan was to move the complete harness from the D250 to the D150.

So, the 1st Gens don’t have a traditional fuse panel or PDC? How many of these fusible links are there?

So, I’m not familiar at all with the 1st Gens and this is the first time I’ve heard of these wiring issues. I’m doing this D150 swap, so I’ll address them then. My plan was to move the complete harness from the D250 to the D150.

So, the 1st Gens don’t have a traditional fuse panel or PDC? How many of these fusible links are there?

Below is a scanned wiring diagram out of the book for a 91.5:
First Gen 91 5 Electrical Diagram.pdf - Google Drive

Let me know if that works.

First gens have a fuse box under the steering column, but big circuits have fusible links; heater grids, ignition switch, alternator, etc... Seems like there are somewhere between a handful and a dozen of them, based on the above diagrams.

It isn't too daunting to re-wire everything on a first gen, especially if you're like me and have no cruise control, RWAL, air conditioning, heater grids, etc. :lolly:

Back