Anyone on here spraying nitrous with over 100 lbs of boost ?

Obviously the Cummins will make more boost and hence usually more drive pressure with an identical compound turbo set up on an 8 cylinder engine just do to the inherent head flow advantages of a V-8. I think many of us have found that reducing the boost a tad and really working on the tuning and gating to get the drive pressure to more closely mimic the boost pays good dividends on increased power and lower EGT's. I would highly recommend installing a drive pressure gauge before I did anything else.

I still think people worry more about this than they need to. The strength of your engine is still going to be the limiting factor.

I agree with that, but a set of twins that is tuned correctly is easier on an engine/block/rods, and most importantly a head gasket.

I agree with that, but a set of twins that is tuned correctly is easier on an engine/block/rods, and most importantly a head gasket.

I talked to the original poster tonight, super nice guy. I think he is going to try and calm the boost down to c.80psi and then play with the spray.

Not any bigger on the compressors, just a little more turbine. Not really looking for anymore power this off season, just looking to make it a little more efficient, and mostly focus on getting down to that 6000lbs weight limit.

how much do you weigh now?

I still think people worry more about this than they need to. The strength of your engine is still going to be the limiting factor.

Couldn't disagree more. Drive pressure that is approaching double boost is a engine killer at the HP we are talking about. Doesn't make a damn now the engine is built.

Couldn't disagree more. Drive pressure that is approaching double boost is a engine killer at the HP we are talking about. Doesn't make a damn now the engine is built.

I agree there, but a lot of people think that if they have 80psi of boost and 100psi of drive, dropping the drive pressure down to 80psi with wheel/housing changes is going to make all the difference in the world. Yes it will help, but it's not going to be 100hp, or probably even 50hp.

A set of turbos that had drive pressure at 200psi and boost at 100-120psi would have to be poorly matched indeed. Most people who are in the 4 digit power range know enough to be pretty close to 1:1. Or at least one would hope so.

I agree there, but a lot of people think that if they have 80psi of boost and 100psi of drive, dropping the drive pressure down to 80psi with wheel/housing changes is going to make all the difference in the world. Yes it will help, but it's not going to be 100hp, or probably even 50hp.

A set of turbos that had drive pressure at 200psi and boost at 100-120psi would have to be poorly matched indeed. Most people who are in the 4 digit power range know enough to be pretty close to 1:1. Or at least one would hope so.

The two boost ranges you mention (80psi boost 100psi drive / 120psi boost 200psi drive) can be the same chargers with just different tuning...

For us getting the boost down more is more about longevity of chargers, and the efficiency of how they run.

I'll be very excited to see what you guys do next year.

You and me both. :hehe:

Other then weight loss we just have a bunch of small refinements we plan to make this winter. Hopefully it will get us mid 9's more consistently, and the ability to go more rounds between breaking. Nothing ground breaking, need to be in it to win it.

Lower drive pressure does help. This spring when I was tuning my new turbo setup and motor i had the waste gate closed for three passes from 10.77-10.72.
Next pass I set wastegate same as I was running it last year and I ran a 10.46 and a 10.51.

Other then weight loss we just have a bunch of small refinements we plan to make this winter. Hopefully it will get us mid 9's more consistently, and the ability to go more rounds between breaking. Nothing ground breaking, need to be in it to win it.

Awesome plan! Mid 9s will win either Super Street or Pro Street at any given race. Weight loss is good too, Cole's first gen runs pretty consistent 9.60s without tearing much up, and a lot of it has to do with the fact the truck only weighs about 5300 pounds.

We make over 60psi on the primary, when total boost is 75psi, just as a comparison.

wow, must be a hell of a charger. Are you guys wastegating around your high pressure after spoolup as the numbers show your secondary is making no boost at those figures.

Last edited:
We make over 60psi on the primary, when total boost is 75psi, just as a comparison.

Playing with the gate tonight I was able to lower my total boost pressure to below 80 . Since the gate dumps into the hot pipe on my primary my primary boost should go up. Plan on testing at the track this Thursday. Also plan on spraying it now too.

Back