anything to look out for in an 03

RAMICATOR

They Call Me Boner
heys guys im looking at an 03 4x4 qcsb, auto, is got a 130k miles on it, i dont know much about the common rail 3gens. Is there anything i should know about them befor i persue the truck anymore?

thanks
tony

I love my 03. What are you going to be doing with the truck. They get great milage. Joe

it will be a daily driver, and do some hooking. it will be a slow build, bought a house this summer and getting married next fall

keep the EGT's down... my brother got his a little toasty a few times and dropped a valve seat with 190K.

Lavon

just realize unless it's a 3500, it's going to have a 10.5" rear axle

Only if it's the SO. The 555's weren't offered with the auto till mid year. When they did you got the 11.5.

Ram, check the plate(sticker) on the valve cover for the hp rating. If its the 305 you've got the bigger axle. You can confirm on the sticker in the glove box.

Don't fear the SO engines, you can still make good power with them. As Forrest said, if you're hooking with it the smaller axle may become an issue.

Other than the couple things others mentioned, there's nothing with an 03 to really steer clear of.

ill have to ask if its an H.O.. i thought all the 3gens had the 11.5" aam. thats why i asked, thanks for the replies guys

were the 04 and 05 trucks the same way, with the axles or was it an 03 thing?

SO's in '03 had NV4500's, 47RE's and 48RE's toward the end of '03 model year.
The only SO's with the 10.5" rear axle were the 2500 47RE SO's.

Was it a 2500? I know my '03 3500 SO w/ NV4500 has an 11.5". I thought all 5-speeds had the 11.5"?

Back