Anyway to check unit bearing?

rbell

Hey everyone,
I've been chasing a vibration at 45-50mph for a while now. Today I put the truck on jack stands and notices the drivers side tire had a good bit of play when pulling at 12 and 6. The ball joints are brand new, less than 5000 miles. Is there any real check for the bearing hub? I ran the truck in 2 wheel drive and had zero vibration but when I put it in 4wd I got the vibration. I've replaced all the u joints up front along with the ball joints. Just lookin for some ideas...Thanks everyone...ROB

well no matter if it is in 2wd or 4x4 the hub is rotating so that is not the issue. the only thing that changes when you put the transfer case in 4x4 is the gear placement in the transfer case. have you checked the fluid level in the transfer case lately?

Fluid level is good, just changed it about two weeks ago. As far as the cardinal joint goes the drive line shop said that looked good when they changed out the u joints. The rear drive shaft has been balanced so I'm not sure what to look at next, any ideas?

Thanks ROB

well if it is not happening in 2wd then it has to be in the transfer case the front drive shaft and axle shafts all spin in two wheel drive. sounds like its time for 4 jack stands and spin the tires while you find the issue.

you can try unbolting the front drive shaft and driving with out it and see if the issue goes away.

Should've mentioned that, already tried that, no change. It doesn't feel like a tire out of balance but I guess I'll have them balanced just to check. It's always something with these damn things...lol

rob try this jack the rear up and put in 4x4 and run the speed up and see if it makes the vibration.

of course with the front axle out retard!!!

this will rule out the entire front end if it still has the vibration

Back