Are Holset turbos now made in CHINA?

ENafziger

I just ordered a "genuine OEM new Holset HX35" to replace the secondary on my set of twins. I was disappointed that it was made in China. The instructions were only in Chinese, the Holset ID tag was in Chinese, etc.

I compared everything with my old "Made in USA" Holset HX35, and it looks to be an exact copy in every way...except the font of "Holset" on the compressor casting is different. Castings on the center section, etc were identical.

Did I indeed buy a genuine Holset turbo that has now been outsourced to Waxo China for production? Or is this an extremely detailed chinese imitation?

GENUINE OEM NEW HOLSET HX35W TURBOCHARGER FOR CUMMINS 6BTA 5.9L DIESEL | eBay

For what you paid, I'd vote knock off. I'd run it.

Holset has moved much of its production to China. However, that is more than likely knockoff. The knockoff stuff is getting out of hand. They have holset tags, castings, and boxes now. If you are really curious, call buyautoparts and see if they have your turbos serial number on file. The knockoff stuff tends to have the same serial number on every tag.

That looks to be pretty nice for a chinese one. I've seen some that guys have got off there and the castings are plain ugly. But I agree the one in the link definitely isn't a genuine Holset. The ID tag wouldn't be blank if it was. And the price would be double probably. Haha

That looks to be pretty nice for a chinese one. I've seen some that guys have got off there and the castings are plain ugly. But I agree the one in the link definitely isn't a genuine Holset. The ID tag wouldn't be blank if it was. And the price would be double probably. Haha

Their castings are getting better. Much better. We have had numerous chinese turbos come through that were not glaringly obvious until we found something blatantly wrong with them later.

For what you paid, I'd vote knock off. I'd run it.

I suppose I will. It's on now...time will tell how long it lives. Spool up is great, and I don't have any complaints I suppose.

This is in the P-Pump Excursion. A roll-on in 6th gear nets 55 psi by 1900 rpm. Not bad for an old school setup in the family van.

I've stood next to a 12L "X" all week that is made in China....

Something smart goes here

Back