Arias Pistons??

Laramie4x4

I'm still FASTER
Hey guys Happy New Year... hope everyone had fun last night... I was looking into Arias pistons... for my CR motor..I think they make coated ones correct?? and they are aluminum??? anyone had experience with a high HP CR motor and these pistons...???

Hey guys Happy New Year... hope everyone had fun last night... I was looking into Arias pistons... for my CR motor..I think they make coated ones correct?? and they are aluminum??? anyone had experience with a high HP CR motor and these pistons...???

Arias makes very good pistons, they have made several sets of custom kits for me, i trust them.

Race motor I assume. Without a steel insert for the top ring they may not hold up in a daily driver.

Yes it will be a race motor.. the goal is to be able to drive ti on the street but I wont daily drive it...

I believe Chris Werner (5150Ram) ran a set. You might send him a pm.

Don't drive it on the street, just on and off the trailer and down the strip.

Ring lands will not hold up with mileage on the pistons. 5-10 miles per race day and 10-20 races and TnT's a season should give you a few years of use.

piston-land2.jpg

Mike can you decode that post for me!!!!! It's to early for me to think that hard!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Too late to edit first post:

If you do use Arias pistons in a race environment then a typical trip off the trailer, from pits to staging through the trap, back down return lane.... equals about 5-10 miles per race day on the truck. So if you plan on 10-20 races and test and tune sessions per race season that will equate to 50-200 miles a year. Using this as a typical race trucks schedule you should have a few seasons without ring land issues which will cause a complete tear down and rebuild.

There are many ways to prevent the rings lands from wearing like shown above.

Such things as coated rings and double coated lands(anodized) help alot, but so does adressing oiling issu'es, and ring land hight and depth, but thats coming from someone who accually design's them...

My pistons dont come back looking that bad...who knows maybe it's the "Nasa" or "aerospace" material we use...or could be common sence...LOL

More than one way to get the job done!

I had about 10,000 miles on these. I was told they were OK for DD. Not sure if the coatings have changed since 2004 so things might be much better today.

The experince ive had with them is to leave them strictly to race/pull engines. They wont hold up on the street and the set i had was coated.

No way a forged piston can survive more than 200k DD, but 100k i know is possible.

what it going to take to make them last a 100k? hell ill make it eayier let say 20k mile for a hot street truck/ sled puller with ross pistons?

No way a forged piston can survive more than 200k DD, but 100k i know is possible.
I had about 4K when I noticed excessive white smoke. Pulled over by a CHP on my way back from SEMA, he thought my truck was on fire LOL

Last edited:
The key here is the reliabliity of the ring material, most raceing rings are low tension and quick break in. thats a problem for the DD, the rings used for a DD should be high tension and normal break in. in other words a material close to stock is what you would want.

Next the ring land need to be built for the rings being used. If i were to use hard ring for a DD going 50-100k i would double anodize the rings lands, or the whole piston and i "Might" incorporate a small oil hole in the ring land 33* one from another, were talking just splash oil, this would have to be the bottom of the land, because anywhere else you would loose too much compression, the second ring would be a high strenght scrapper style and the oil controll would be as normal.

The ring stack would be adjusted too, the further away from the top the better heat resistance, but too much will drop CR down a good bit.

There are other areas of concern, but this should get you in the right thought process.

The key here is the reliabliity of the ring material, most raceing rings are low tension and quick break in. thats a problem for the DD, the rings used for a DD should be high tension and normal break in. in other words a material close to stock is what you would want.

Next the ring land need to be built for the rings being used. If i were to use hard ring for a DD going 50-100k i would double anodize the rings lands, or the whole piston and i "Might" incorporate a small oil hole in the ring land 33* one from another, were talking just splash oil, this would have to be the bottom of the land, because anywhere else you would loose too much compression, the second ring would be a high strenght scrapper style and the oil controll would be as normal.

The ring stack would be adjusted too, the further away from the top the better heat resistance, but too much will drop CR down a good bit.

There are other areas of concern, but this should get you in the right thought process.

Thanks for the information! :clap:

Back