Arp head stud do's and dont's...

05STROKER

SuperStroker
hey guys, gettin ready to put the head studs into the block, i cookied down both sides of the block to prep the surface for the gaskets but before i put the studs in i wanted to know if your supposed to torque the studs in to a specific torque.. use locktight? whats the procedure to install the studs and torque specs and everything?? was it just fine to cookie the block down with my little right angle die grinder? its a cast block and not aluminum so i figured it would be fine.

I use a scratch pad for the block, but never on an angle grinder so double check the block deck for flatness. Lots of oil on the bolts and both sides of the washers NO THREADLOCKER. As for specs you will have to get those from ARP, they have different specs if you use thier lube or just engine oil.

whats the best way to check for flatness now that i decided to take it upon myself to cookie it down and possibly destroy flatness

You need a calibrated straight edge and feeler blades

Head20Torque20Sequence.gif

whats the chances it isnt true flat anymore since i cookied it down? i know cast is pretty strong

id rather not hafta worry too much that it got f'ed up, its not like i used any grinding discs, i used cookies, sure they might take a real small amount of cast off but it aint going to grind away a substantial amount to completely screw up my gaskets, sure i coulda went with other methods but considering its not an aluminum block im sure nothing was significantly changed by cleaning it all up with cookies

are you wanting someone to tell you its all gonna be ok? nobody will know unless you check it...

what can i use as a straightedge? piece of aluminum stock from home depot or sumthin??

no you need to find a machinists straight edge. its precision.

that sounds like a royal pain in the ass, theres no other way other than to hit the machine shop with a cabless chassis?

well im sure your local auto parts store isnt going to carry a machinists straight edge so im not sure what kinda options are left. im about to just say Fu*k It! and stop worrying over something so small, cant always be sweatin the small stuff. cookies arent going to eat up cast iron, grinding discs i could see, i cannot see cookies significantly impacting the surface of cast iron, aluminum i could also see but not cast iron

Back