ARP studs little help DIY

You hope. Why take the chance? Just torque it and be done. I've seen 3 different guys pull the threads on the pump shaft. That is a costly repair that could have been saved by using a torque wrench and torquing it to the proper spec. I've went pretty high on them before, but I don't like to.

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Not that I do not believe you, but the nut is designed to be weaker than the pump shaft. Here is what I was dealing with, a chase of the threads with a die and it was all good.

P4110123.jpg

P4110125.jpg

Now when tightening them we go until the motor turns over, or begins to anyway. It is a little more than the 144# recommended I believe, but have yet to have one cause us the grief this one did. Just an FYI, we were not even snug yet when the nut let loose, definitely lower than 100#.

Yep you guys are right, just torque it how ever. It really doesn't matter to me. That nut was probably over torqued a few times and that's what got you that.

well i had a monkey wrench to begin with (larger one) wasent much room for leverage so i was pulling up on it. Correct me if im wrong, but the nut is standard righty tighty lefty loosy? right? i know fan nut is Pain the Ass left thread.. anyone have size on nut on pump? would help me for getting it off think biggest wrench i have is 1inch? 1.5 inch? or 22mm...

That was the first time that nut had ever been tightened other than from the factory, that truck was a virgin. Anyway, no point in bickering over it. Some say factory spec, some say until the motor turns over. Whichever you feel like is what I would do, both work.

As for the nut I want to say it is either a 30 or 36 MM, I could look but my timing tools are not handy.

well i had a monkey wrench to begin with (larger one) wasent much room for leverage so i was pulling up on it. Correct me if im wrong, but the nut is standard righty tighty lefty loosy? right? i know fan nut is Pain the Ass left thread.. anyone have size on nut on pump? would help me for getting it off think biggest wrench i have is 1inch? 1.5 inch? or 22mm...

It is a 30mm and yes it is righty tighty, lefty loosy. You should be able to get th socket at sears or napa or a local tool store.

stupid question, but does gear need a double sided puller? got nut off with more leverage... now pump is still there with gear on it

The BEST puller is the one in the Snap-on timing set. I have used other types of pullers and they all sucked, with the Snap on puller it takes 30 seconds and minimal effort.

I'm with Dieselwrencher, I wouldn't torque the pump nut without a torque wrench. Factory spec is 144, IIRC I just do 150 but I have heard of a lot of people doing 165... Make sure you get a good cleaner that can be held upside down while spraying and get the shaft super clean, then clean it again!

Back