assembly lube

FireMed

Clown Puncher
I couldn't find any to put my cam in. would it be ok to use the assembly lube I have for my transmissions. I'm done for the weekend and can get some next week but I have plenty of the other stuff. the trans stuff is pasty l ok me where as most of the stuff I've used for cams is thinner like honey.

You live in bfe or something? How can you not find assembly lube at any parts store? Not knowing what the other lube is I would say no.

I actually do, 40 min to any parts store. But I just didn't have any in the garage. I can go and get some just left for the weekend. Can pick some up on the way home. I just have the stuff I use for transmissions and didn't know what the difference was.

Last edited:
I'd pick some up on the way home. One of those things that should be in anybody's garage that cracks an engine open.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BRUYSK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1443130306&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=royal+purple+assembly+lube[/ame]

I would use engine oil before I used something designed for a different application. Just coat the cam and lifter faces really good with the oil

Ok, thanks. I've got some royal purple synthetic 460 I can use.

Last edited:
It's not a new cam. I was changing the timing case. I pulled the cam out and cleaned it off for a good look. The truck has been sitting for quite a while. I just don't want to stick it back in dry. Didn't think just oil would be good enough.

Heck I'd just lube it with engine oil. Big difference between new build and used parts especially on the cam.

Ok, just wanted to give it something but didn't think just oil would cut it.

Engine oil is fine, alot of manufacturers recommend using engine oil even on new parts.

I don't get what you are doing. Synthetic anything is not recommended for any new component.

If it's best for used parts it's best for new parts also except piston rings, they need to be weared in, install them dry.

If it's best for used parts it's best for new parts also except piston rings, they need to be weared in, install them dry.

From what I understand synthetic isn't a good break in oil. I wouldn't break in a new engine on synthetic. And I think you want zinc to break in a cam properly? I could be wrong

Rings will break in after using oil. You can't use WD40 or other penetrating lubes in the bore. I use it on every build I do and so does the builder I worked for, doing high end race engines. I've never had a issue with rings not seating. Installing rings dry is how you break them

Rings will break in after using oil. You can't use WD40 or other penetrating lubes in the bore. I use it on every build I do and so does the builder I worked for, doing high end race engines. I've never had a issue with rings not seating. Installing rings dry is how you break them

X2 We coat the cylinder walls and rings liberally with Rotella 15w40. Have never had an issue

Back