At what point is it needed?

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
Can someone post evidence of a a/w or cutting the intake off actually netting them x amount of footage or hp? I think that they have to do x,y, or z cause the top trucks run em' I guess I just want something I can visually see rather than he runs it or it does this or that............
Brandon

Last edited:
Of course, any help you can give your cylinder head to help even out flow and cool the cylinders down more is always worth it. Only way to really test it is obviously to do it with no other changes and see.

have not ran it on a truck yet but from the one i have cut off and the stock is a big difference. the more air you can cram in their the better right? dont try and port it urself lol i spent 4 hours on mine and didnt get much done so its worth to have someone else do it imo.

Robinson did a pretty good write up on his porting job from Dealers Machine(?) a long time ago. I don't know if he cut his intake off or not. The numbers/temps going in and out of the cylinder head were impressive. Boost was down, EGT's were down, power was up.

Yes, the intake runners going to #1 and #6 are shameful, at best.

It sometimes amazes me that these stock Cummins cylinder heads make the power that they do. Take something that was designed and engineered for 200-300hp and triple or quadruple it. Pretty impressive.

Besides, how else are you going to really port the head, without cutting the intake off?

Yes sir I cut and ported the head on my old puller, was it worth it????

Not with the valve job it had.

Air to water is noticeable in footage when it is not running. This is not to say that a successful setup cannot be made using an air to air.

Back