Auto pulling question

Newdieselguy

Captain sleeps alot
What does anybody think about pulling 1st Hi

The reason I ask is with only 3000 govenor springs and 4:10 gears I run out of rpm in 2nd low and I don't have the power for 3rd

Also I did a little test (if you can call it that) but if I put it in 1 Hi it tops out a around 30mph and if it's in 2nd low it tops out at 20mph

If you don't lock up your T/C, thats where I would start. Its like getting a whole other gear.

Thats true about the speed of first gear but you can go 35 in 4th lo an if you cant swing 3rd lo i dont see how you could pull any good rpms in 1st hi. I ran 1st hi last season but didnt have the power for 2nd so i have been running 4th lo this season and have been doing better and keeping my rpms up. Im also running the stock turbo.

Thats true about the speed of first gear but you can go 35 in 4th lo an if you cant swing 3rd lo i dont see how you could pull any good rpms in 1st hi. I ran 1st hi last season but didnt have the power for 2nd so i have been running 4th lo this season and have been doing better and keeping my rpms up. Im also running the stock turbo.

You also have and manual tranny I'm guessing

I did it once 2 years ago had the vp set up mabey 550hp. Pulled 3lo on test hook for the class dropped it and hooked again put 6ft on my first pull. 35s with 410s, but it was a dry track. But i never did it again.

I think youll be fine with 3rd lo, if it starts to bog unlock your converter.

Ya I only tried 3rd low once and pulled 248.79

And the same day,track,and setup I pulled 249.64 in 2nd low

But I think I may have locked the convertor alittle to soon because it never picked up the R's

And also I was told that its was bad to manually shift these trucks but how else are you gonna run 2nd because if you put my truck in second it's takes off in second

i've always been able to pull 3rd in 4th lo locked without issue. with 4.10's i would think you should be able togo into 3rd but dont know much about 12 valves

Ya I only tried 3rd low once and pulled 248.79

And the same day,track,and setup I pulled 249.64 in 2nd low

But I think I may have locked the convertor alittle to soon because it never picked up the R's

And also I was told that its was bad to manually shift these trucks but how else are you gonna run 2nd because if you put my truck in second it's takes off in second

I think you have an issue with your VB if putting it in second makes it take off in second, or you have a fully manual VB.

It has a suncoast VB and I can also lock the converter in first

If you flip the switch in my buddy's truck it will go 1-2 then lock

If you flip the switch in my truck it will just lock and kill the motor not sure if thats right

Scratch the 2nd being in 2nd thing I just tried it and it
takes off in first

The reason I thought that was because at the first pull I was at when I was pulling up to the sled I put it down in 1st to make sure it was taking off in 1st it acually down shifted so that's why i've been manually shifting it from 1-2

Back