Axle Help.

dodgemaniac

The differential went out of our 04 3500 today. axle is the aam 1150 4.10 gear. The shop its at quoted us 3500 to replace with new stock unit. To me this seems like to much

Looking for any suggestions on other options or leads to any used things basically anything.

This is just a truck we use to haul cattle and not a pulling truck

Below is the photo that the shop sent us when they opened it up.

WEIMERTK.jpg

Email from shop sent with photo,
Note the small gears teeth showing through the gear case. The slots were
not machined; the edges are sharp and jagged. There is metal powder laying
in the bottom of the housing also.

Last edited:
3500.00! Wow.. I have a Grizzly locker in mine, but that's probably not what your looking for. Just go to a junkyard and buy a used 11.5 and stick it in yourself.

i just did an 11.5 aam swap from the smaller aam in a buddies truck for under a grand

Get that truck out of that shop!!!!!! Those guys don't have a clue what's going on. Every carrier has those slots in them. They are there to allow proper flow of lubricant to the inner workings of the carrier. I know the slots appear to have been cut by the gears, this is not the case, they are machined there for a purpose. What symptons did the truck have to suspect differential problem?

I have a locker from a chevy I would sell for cheap. $150.

However the carrier on the dodges do have areas that look like they were cut through with the gears.

The differential went out of our 04 3500 today. axle is the aam 1150 4.10 gear. The shop its at quoted us 3500 to replace with new stock unit. To me this seems like to much

Looking for any suggestions on other options or leads to any used things basically anything.

This is just a truck we use to haul cattle and not a pulling truck

Below is the photo that the shop sent us when they opened it up.

WEIMERTK.jpg

Email from shop sent with photo,
Note the small gears teeth showing through the gear case. The slots were
not machined; the edges are sharp and jagged. There is metal powder laying
in the bottom of the housing also.

as long as the metal is a fine powder and not small flakes, put oil in it and drive it till you find parts, how did they figure it was bad in the first place, is it making noise/excessive mileage, as zstroken said some places show the gears on the carrier, also if the metal looks and feels smooth powder, it is normal, do you have a pic of the magnetic plug?

The truck had a shutter when stopping from 20 to 5 mph. I'll check to see what kind of metal it was if powder or flakes.

Were u joints checked? Had one get so tight one time i swore it was ring and pinion

To bump this it is now my understanding that the shutter was constant until aprox. 50mph was reached.

So do you guys think the differential is actually bad? or is it something like the ring gear was miss-aligned and needs replaced?

Carrier bearing??? Auto or stick, if auto torque convertor???

Last edited:
where in western Pa? call up jeff mumau at mumau diesel, he is out you way and knows diesel trucks thru ad thru. his screenname on here is snedge.

Back