Back half necessary?

oldblue116

I just picked up a 1998 rcsb 1500 2wd that I'm going to be dropping my p-pump 24v in. Will see some street miles, but mostly track. I plan on going with a 4 link rear, double adjustable qa1s, narrowrd 9inch etc... Where my big question lies is is it necessary to back half. I pulled a measurment from the outer edge of the tire to frame rail and got 18 inches. So with cutting the wheel wells out and putting bigger tubs in, is there something I'm missing as to why people still go and back half these trucks?
Thanks, Mark.

I'm not necessarily building it for any specific class. I will be running at the local track a lot. To expensive to follow nhrda around. I will go to Indy and anything close but it will not be many.

Ill be working on the truck with Mark. The motor that will be going into it on its first trip to the dyno put down 1002hp still with a lot to work out and will only be going up from there. I can say I know he wants 9's consistently

Also if anyone has any suggestions on back half kits that would be great. I'm pretty sold on the universal s&w kit, but my ears are open.

I understand the weight transfer part, but what is the difference of the aftermarket frame opposed to factory frame rails as far as weight transfer goes?

Ah. I misread your question.

With a lowered 2wd, expect to notch the existing frame rails to get the axle enough upward travel and build shock mounts above the bed floor to accommodate a taller, vertical shock. Which is likely the reason most go with a new rear frame section.

Keep in mind you can buy the 4-link backhalf already jig-welded together and that's straighter than what your average backyard welder could pull off.

That's a big help, thanks. I'm a welder by trade, but I do not have a jig and honestly would be way more worth it to buy one pre fab than to build one myself.

That's a big help, thanks. I'm a welder by trade, but I do not have a jig and honestly would be way more worth it to buy one pre fab than to build one myself.

Back half that motherfukker !:cheer:

Buy me the kit and I will put so many mumau diesel stickers on the truck you won't even know what color it is

Sorry Mark. Can't help there.
FWIW We do have a Summit and Jegs account, and might be able to save you some money.

Stickers are always free. :)

Haha it will have a sticker just like the red and blue truck, no worries. Just spoke with a gentleman on here that has everything I need for a good deal. Looks like I will be soaking up some overtime.

Back