Bad readings from tach....any ideas?

231jasons

not really here
My 06 tach is all over the place. It started out as a bad instrument cluster which a dealer replaced under warranty while i was out of town at the inlaws. It first was every gauge would cut in and out as if it was a loose connection.

Now just the tach is jumping all over the place. During normal acceleration it will hover around 3-400 rpm's then once the actual RPM's get somewhere near 2K it the tach will jump way up to 3-4K. A couple times it wrapped all the way around to the bottom of the peg.

Every once and a while it will work normally. FWIW the ECM is seeing the real RPM's because when i use the edge A2 through the OBD2 port it reads normally.

I hate to go back to the dealer because every time i go in there something gets screwed up. Ive checked grounds and all seems well. I dont have any after market stereo stuff and it does the same thing w or w/out the edge plugged in.

Any body see this b4 or have any info?

I know of a guy who had a cluster replaced a few months ago. He got another new one on Friday. The first one was messed up during a remote start install, the second was the spedo went crazy.

Ya i guess i might have to go back to the dealer....i just hate to do it. Chris do you know what was messed up on the remote start install?

Back