BadB!tch's Fummins Build Thread

Badb!tch

About to start swapping out the 6.0 in my 2006 F250 for a 12 valve cummins with a 4r100 behind it! Motor mounts got here yesterday and still waiting on a few more swap parts from a member on here. Currently the plans are for about a 800hp 12 valve. I want it to still remain great drivability while still making good power. I will be drag racing it and sled pulling it occasionally also. We plan to actually tow with it when it’s completed too. I am still currently driving the truck until all the swap parts get here then we will pull the engine and get down to business with it! Just figured I would start it now and keep good updates while it’s being built.

Any help will be appreciated with any warnings/cautions involving the swap. Currently I have the motor mounts here. Have a Destroked trans adapter and flex plate on the way. I still have to order the tach kit, which will come from Destroked also. I will be using a PCS to control the transmission which will be fully built. I know I will have to build the bottom radiator hose. I’m going to be keeping all the 6.0 sensors to work the dash. What else should I be keeping as far as electronics goes? I know the twin turbos will be a tight fit and require a lot of custom fitting but I don’t see that being a huge problem.

Basically I am asking for a little bit of info from people that have done the swap and will help make this as painless as possible. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is a picture as it sits now:

Attachments

• ford.jpg
    ford.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Good luck with the build, post up pictures as you go!

What you going with for turbo's?

Welcome.
You only need to keep the oil pressure, water temp, cam position, and crank position sensors (both of these for the tach kit) you should be able to get rid of the rest but I would first make sure the pcs doesn't need any other inputs to work.

Dont worry I will be posting plenty of pictures.

As far as turbos go manifold charger will be a 63/68 over a s478, both billet wheels.

I am hoping that someone who has used a PCS will chime in and help with which imputs will need to be used. I have read the installation instructions but it always makes more sense when someone that has done it before helps.

Tach and TPS are the only engine signals, other than that brake input for basics.

Take your time an dont rush it. There will be bugs an hope u got another truck to drive when its down. 800hp whats your plans for the motor? I belive im knocking on the back door of 800hp but wont kbow till the spring.

I didn't do a fummins but with my dads 05 12 valve we had to buy the pcs remote TPS. Pretty cool little gadget, but it isn't perfect, at idle it thinks it has 3.1 volts and that messes with the tuning a little. Once you get rolling it goes back to the regular .40 volt.

I'm not sure how comparable tunes are between softwares. If you play with the tune enough you will eventually get it. Part throttle tuning will take up most of your time, since that's where the truck is gonna be driven for the most part.

Good luck!

Take your time an dont rush it. There will be bugs an hope u got another truck to drive when its down. 800hp whats your plans for the motor? I belive im knocking on the back door of 800hp but wont kbow till the spring.

I don't plan on rushing I want everything to be right. As far as the engine goes it`s going to be pretty simple, stock rods, stock cam, 24v pistons, fireringed block, ported head, 16:1 compression; basically just a real simple, proven combination.

I didn't do a fummins but with my dads 05 12 valve we had to buy the pcs remote TPS. Pretty cool little gadget, but it isn't perfect, at idle it thinks it has 3.1 volts and that messes with the tuning a little. Once you get rolling it goes back to the regular .40 volt.

I'm not sure how comparable tunes are between softwares. If you play with the tune enough you will eventually get it. Part throttle tuning will take up most of your time, since that's where the truck is gonna be driven for the most part.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, sounds like tuning the transmission is gonna be fun

Okay I have a question. I know since im doing a 12 valve I'll have to have a gas pedal and cruise control servo out of a gas truck correct? What models and years will match up with my 2006? Will the f150 stuff work or does it have to be 250/350 stuff?

Im not sure on the servo stuff but for the gas pedal you just need one from a 5.4 or v10 gasser from 99-07

If you use the ford cable you will have to modify the throttle bracket to fit the ford end, or there are folks that sell an adapter for it. Also the ford throttle cable has a return spring so you may not need to use the cummins springs. The gas pedal is very firm with just the ford spring. Also you might be able to modify your 6.0l pedal and attach the throttle cable to it. I could have easily modified mine and kept the adjustable pedal. My 04 pedal (don't know if yours will have it) had a piece that sticks up past the pivot point that I could have attached the cable to, it lines up with the hole in the fire wall for the cable.

Okay time for an update on my thread! The engine is out of the truck.

Here it is waiting to be pulled in the shop to drop transmission and pull engine.
beforehand_zps32e64772.jpg

Got it in the shop and started pulling it apart
bumperremoved_zpse8a718ea.jpg

After the engine was removed
engineout_zps157481e5.jpg

Now to get down to business. The plans have changed slightly for the build. It is getting a 47re now instead of a 4r100 since the member on here flaked out on the trade deal that we had agreed on but thats a whole different story. The engine is going to get a billet camshaft for a little help spooling the chargers even though it shouldn't need it. This thing should be super torquey.

I guess the reality is starting to set in now. Im getting excited and am ready to drive it again. As soon as the pistons get back from the machine shop the engine is getting put together. Im still waiting on all the parts from the powdercoating shop also but they will be done late next week.

I have several questions for some people that have already done the conversions.
1.) Cruise Control-I am still not 100% clear on this yet. I know any 10-pin servo will work but is it a direct plug in and work or will it need to be wired in? If I were to get a servo from a 2006 F-250 gas burner would everything wire directly up?

2.) Neutral Saftey Switch-How has everyone been making the neutral saftey switch working with their truck? I know the simplest thing would be to wire in a temporary switch but I dont want to have to deal with that. Can it be wired into the 47re neutral saftey switch?

3.) Reverse lights- what is the easiest way to get the reverse lights to work? These are not a necessity right off the bat but I figured while im going it might as well be done right.

4.) Throttle Position Sensor- I heard that PCS makes a TPS that works with the 12 valve linkage but I cant find it on their website. Anyone got a link?

5.) Battery Box- I saw where a member had a battery box that goes in the driverside stock location that will hold 2 optimas? Is this a box that was custom made or is it a part that ford made for it in another application.

Thanks for any help in advance. I know Im going to have a ton a questions as I start getting everything fitted in the truck.

Okay time for an update on my thread! The engine is out of the truck.

Here it is waiting to be pulled in the shop to drop transmission and pull engine.
beforehand_zps32e64772.jpg

Got it in the shop and started pulling it apart
bumperremoved_zpse8a718ea.jpg

After the engine was removed
engineout_zps157481e5.jpg

Now to get down to business. The plans have changed slightly for the build. It is getting a 47re now instead of a 4r100 since the member on here flaked out on the trade deal that we had agreed on but thats a whole different story. The engine is going to get a billet camshaft for a little help spooling the chargers even though it shouldn't need it. This thing should be super torquey.

I guess the reality is starting to set in now. Im getting excited and am ready to drive it again. As soon as the pistons get back from the machine shop the engine is getting put together. Im still waiting on all the parts from the powdercoating shop also but they will be done late next week.

I have several questions for some people that have already done the conversions.
1.) Cruise Control-I am still not 100% clear on this yet. I know any 10-pin servo will work but is it a direct plug in and work or will it need to be wired in? If I were to get a servo from a 2006 F-250 gas burner would everything wire directly up?

2.) Neutral Saftey Switch-How has everyone been making the neutral saftey switch working with their truck? I know the simplest thing would be to wire in a temporary switch but I dont want to have to deal with that. Can it be wired into the 47re neutral saftey switch?

3.) Reverse lights- what is the easiest way to get the reverse lights to work? These are not a necessity right off the bat but I figured while im going it might as well be done right.

4.) Throttle Position Sensor- I heard that PCS makes a TPS that works with the 12 valve linkage but I cant find it on their website. Anyone got a link?

5.) Battery Box- I saw where a member had a battery box that goes in the driverside stock location that will hold 2 optimas? Is this a box that was custom made or is it a part that ford made for it in another application.

Thanks for any help in advance. I know Im going to have a ton a questions as I start getting everything fitted in the truck.

Nice work so far.

1) Can't answer about the cruise as mine is not hooked up probably never will, I don't use cruise.

2&3) Neutral safety switch- the 47re's 3 pin round plug on the side of the tranny is for the neutral safety switch and the reverse lights you just need to hook into those wires with the ford wires, I bypassed my neutral safety switch I have a push button on the dash.

4) TPS- if you have a doner truck you can get the tps from that you will need the computer from a dodge to control the 47re, just get the TPS for that.

5) battery box- yes that is a custom made box I believe Mat P is running a 2 optima battery box on the drivers side. I am just running 1 battery on the drivers side it starts fine, a bit slow in cold weather, but it works. It might be better if I would drive more than 1 time a week.

The truck isn't going to have the dodge computer on it...the transmission will be controlled by the PCS. I know there's a TPS sensor that PCS makes...ill do some more research on it and maybe find it.

Okay I found the PCS TPS part #. It isnt listed on their website but I called them and got the part number. I wrote it down but its in the truck ill put it on here later.

Is it just easier to run the 6.0 altenator with the fordcummins bracket that way the wiring harness doesnt have to be modified and dont have to run an external regulator? Im about to start hacking into the wiring harness while Im waiting on the pistons and camshaft to get here. Hopefully the engine will be put together in the next 2 weeks or so that way I can move on with the build!

What is everyone doing with the powersteering pump cooler and resivor? Im using the dodge pump so I wont need the resivoir I suppose but are y'all leaving the powersteering cooler?

Back