Bags or helper springs

madmikeismad

So mad
I need something to help with squatting while towing. Id also like whatever I choose to be able to act like a sway bar for handling. Supposedly helper springs (the ones that clamp on top of the leaf) can do this. Since I've never ran helpers or bags, and search yields negative results, im asking for your guys' experience.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

I have Air Lift bags and love em. Not sure on the sway bar part, never heard that.

Air bags are the only way to go. Can easliy be adjusted for whatever your towing. then leave about 15 pounds in the bags while empty make for a smooth ride.

I would also go with the bags and you can get a basic kit you have to air up or a kit with compressor and gauge or dual so you can set each bag to level it if it is loaded uneven

I would also go with the bags and you can get a basic kit you have to air up or a kit with compressor and gauge or dual so you can set each bag to level it if it is loaded uneven

I was thinking just the basic kit since it will only be towing occasionally.

I was thinking just the basic kit since it will only be towing occasionally.

I have just the basic kit on mine, it was on there when I bought it, and I don't have any issues at all. I normally just put however much I think I will need in them. If you're going a little distance and you want a little more just pull in at the next truck stop and add it. After having the bags without the compressor on board I don't see a need to even have the compressor for what the price difference is... IMO

There's two different types of kits also. One where the air bag mounts outside the framerail and one where they mount inside the framerail. I personally like the outboard setup cause it gives you more side to side stability. As far as kits with compressors, they're only worthwhile if your always towing. I just grabbed one of those prtable air tanks an throw it in the bed of the truck. Don't tie the bags into the same line either cause it will allow air to transfer from one bag to the other creating an excessive body roll condition when going around corners.

Last edited:
There's two different types of kits also. One where the air bag mounts outside the framerail and one where they mount inside the framerail. I personally like the outboard setup cause it gives you more side to side stability. As far as kits with compressors, they're only worthwhile if your always towing. I just grabbed one of those prtable air tanks an throw it in the bed of the truck. Don't tie the bags into the same line either cause it will allow air to transfer from one bag to the other creating an excessive body roll condition when going around corners.

Damn, didn't think of that. I used to have air shocks that were set up like that.

Air tank is what I was planning on using LOL

I have PacBrake bags on mine. Took about 30 minutes to install and no drilling. Wouldn't tow more than a jet ski without them.

Back