Bearings for 1k hp?

halfton12valve

I searched around but couldn’t find much info on the HX bearings, my goal for the truck is to put some miles on it still, somewhere I read these hx were not good for daily driver? I’m ready to assemble my engine but need help with the little details.. Here’s what I have so far:

6.7 with billet wagler rods & stock pistons
Main studs
D&j stage 1 head fire ringed
ARP 625
BBi stage 3’s
Dual stock cp3’s
On3 Intercooler
S472sxe & s488

Anything else i should add while at it besides bearings?

Seems like everybody is going that route these days..even on daily drivers, I have been daily driving my 5.9 for many years with orings and arp 425 with 60+psi daily and zero issues but would they hold at 1k or 90+ psi?

I’ve heard the same on fire rings including a shop owner on here. Said the heat cycle issues were a thing of the past if I remember right.

Orings are garbage. Put fire rings in and never look back.

I'd ask your rod manufacturer what they recommend for bearings.

I have 5 engines at or above that hp goal on the street that are utilizing hx Rod bearings, I’ve seen a few consistency issues with the clevite bearings, Since this I have switched to coated king bearings on my competition stuff and non coated for street applications. Unless a d&j rod is being used then the hx bearing is utilized. The hx bearing allows for a little more clearance and the material is a harder compound, a touch more thermal resistant. I wouldn’t hesitate using the hx if you are confident on consistency upon assembly. Also triple
Check those rod journals.

Good luck
Matt

From researching and asking around on here I have heard from reputable people that say fire-rings will hold up to daily driver heat cycles. One if the key things is round groove in head and block.

The P series bearing is a std replacement, H is the upgrade and as said HX is just extra clearance. Depending on where your journal diameters come out and desired clearance, you may have to use H and HX

From researching and asking around on here I have heard from reputable people that say fire-rings will hold up to daily driver heat cycles. One if the key things is round groove in head and block.

Well dang. I was hoping I could just send the head off

Well dang. I was hoping I could just send the head off

You can, as previously stated as long as the groove is properly machined to the ring with a round end bit used instead of a square. In the competition world for years it was known to have both the block and head both machined and allow 10-15thou crush for the ring (depending on the ring). Now compression rings are choice on sleeved engines.

Yep and that's an expensive procedure, single cut stuff seems to hang.

Good to know Hammer.

You saying one groove works for you too Jasonc?

Sorry for the derail.

Good to know Hammer.

You saying one groove works for you too Jasonc?

Sorry for the derail.

It’s a part mentioned in his post? Not really a derail from my point of view, knowledge is key imo. I can get you pics if you want because there is a difference. If only i took the time to figure out how to post on here I’d have all customer projects their own threads.

Back to the bearing portion. H bearings for mains (I have not seen them available for a rod in this application) in this case would be necessary if the crank has not had material removed. I believe a standard size is available assuming the crank has had a couple thou removed.

Back