Bell housing

TwinCummins02

Texas Diesel Runner
does anyone know were i can find a bellhousing for my 02 dodge i took my truck to get the clutch put in and found out that the bell housing was cracked from side to side, this day has sucked

I'd try a junkyard. I dunno if there are any aftermarket ones out there. I'm not up on the manual stuff.

Just so you know on a 6speed it is anything but an easy swap. The 5-speeds had a separate belhousing that would just bolt onto the tranny.

The thing with the 6-speed is that the belhousing its self is part of the transmission. The belhousing is aluminum and the case is cast like that of a 5-speed but what happens with the 6-speed is that all the internals are held between the belhousing and the back of the tail stock. I know that when working on these transmissions internals you have to remove the tailstock and work you way to the front piece by piece. I am not sure if there are even extranal bolts on the holding it to the cast iron but know that you can't just pull it off and replace it...you have to take the whole tranny apart.

Now I am not a trany expert by any means and I could be 100 percent wrong but I watched mine being put together and this is how it was done. Infact when they put it in the parts washer they had all 3 pieces of the case apart and the last part they detatched from the main case was the belhousing.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

RyanB

Thanks guys the shop found one for me and it is runing me about $650 for the part

A NV5600 USED wth about 100k on the clock is worth right around $22-2400, cores are good for about $800-1000 and a rebuilt one can be had for a mere $27000 or more.

$650 is not bad, when Dodge went to the G-56(?) 6spd they ceased to produce the 5600 and the prices went WAY up :(

I found all this out the hard way, long story short I have a spare unit now, and no plans to get rid of it after everything I went through to get one LOL

Back