Benching a p pump and turbo questions.

bench2.jpg

Kaiser, maybe the wastegate is way out if adjustment on your turbo. Sounds like it's opening wayyy too soon. Secondly try sliding your fuel plate back about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from full forward and see what that does for ya. Running a plate all the way forward isn't necessarily the best place to adjust it. Lastly you're running a large turbo, can't just stick your foot into it, roll into it fairly slow so your air can keep up with your fuel. Yes you can be overfueled, meaning so much is being dumped in the cylinder it's essentially putting out the fire.

The turbo doesn't have a waste gate, I slid it back to half and it stopped smoking so bad but still no balls... a friend here locally that's knowledgable on the subject said that the injectors could be too small for that turbo.. I'll just have to wait and see what's up after I put a 12mm p pump on it. Gets terrible mileage btw as well, very low teens.

If your getting raw fuel out the stack I would be checking timing first. Had the exact same thing happen. Im assuming its had to start also?

I have no clue what the timing is at as it was done by the previous owner. It's claimed to be at 17* though. It's not hard to start, just have to tap the gas and it starts right up.

Kaiser, maybe the wastegate is way out if adjustment on your turbo. Sounds like it's opening wayyy too soon. Secondly try sliding your fuel plate back about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way from full forward and see what that does for ya. Running a plate all the way forward isn't necessarily the best place to adjust it. Lastly you're running a large turbo, can't just stick your foot into it, roll into it fairly slow so your air can keep up with your fuel. Yes you can be overfueled, meaning so much is being dumped in the cylinder it's essentially putting out the fire.

^ this ^ and look up AFC mods. When I bought my 95 12v it had full cut delivery valves 370 marines, hx35/40, no plate and a loose AFC ( the spring was flopping around probably. Needless to say I could make a convoy disappear. It was a smoking turd till the turbo finally got up and goin and it had a 12cm housing. It was putting the fire out because of all the fuel. After I learned AFC tuning, got rid of full cuts, and killed that little turbo, it runs so much better. I guess my truck was put together when smoke = horsepower!

Back