Bent rear hub?

bosshogg

Running with the best...
Truck has had a vibration about 35 MPH for at least a year. Started about the time it left dealer #1 for a U-joint repair. I thought it got better so I kept driving it. Then I moved away from that dealer. Last week I took it to dealer #2 and they replaced the turbo. Also did the steering recall while it was there. Talking with service manager and I mentioned the vibration got better but never went away. He says I see you've been to dealer #1 a few times for U-joints (which was true) so let me look into it a little deeper. He calls me today and says the right rear hub is bent and is causing my vibration. I'm completely baffled, but what he tells me makes sense. Brake rotor is moving the same time the wheel is. Its not constantly out of alignment like a bent spindle would be, it just kind of wobbles back and forth. Tech says about 3/8" wobble. Tire hasnt been wearing funny though. Anyone else seen or heard of anything like this? I did a search and nothing...

That is bizarre. I haven't heard of anyone doing anything like that besides off roading and really slamming into something ridiculously hard.

If you're hands on, I'd take the wheel, caliper, and rotor off, and then spin it and check. It could just be the rotor messed up too. Just tape something as a reference to the housing when you spin it to make sure it's actually moving.

I'd be surprised if it's actually the hub. And if it is, they are very easy to change, so go to the junk yard and try and find one. A 4th gen might be hard to find, so see if any 3rd gens are the same maybe?

A 4th gen might be hard to find, so see if any 3rd gens are the same maybe?

They fit 03-10. I can't believe you could bend a hub w/o bend the wheel, spindle, or axle housing as well. Interested if that really is the case.

I'm going to be doing the repair, dodge wanted $400 labor...I think that's a bit much for this one. I'm gonna check the runout before I tear it all the way down. I'm now concerned about the axle shaft. If the hub is bent the axle just about has to be too.

Well got everything swapped over to new stuff today and its still wobbling! I didnt have my dial indicator but it moves the brake caliper about 1/16" side to side as the rotor turns. Took the wheel off the other side and its steady as a rock. So I got the idea to swap rotors and the problem didnt change, it stayed with the right rear.
I'm really lost now. Unless the bearings find more center after I drive a few miles would be the only way it would change. Or if the new hub is bent as well. The axle shaft is square to the drive flange as well. Even if it wasnt I dont see how it could make the hub move that much since its on 2 bearings and preloaded. At this point the worst thing I can see happening is it will wear through brake pads faster on that side. Probably will just run it unless someone has an idea. Might tear it back down and measure when I get my indicator back.

Did you rotate the tires? Possibly a broken belt in the tire?

Back