Best Brake Pads

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
What all do you guys recommend for brake pads?

I bought all new Mopar (supposedly, could have been given Valu-Line) pads and rotors for the front and back of my truck. I bedded in the pads and have driven for 10k miles and they plain suck compared to whatever was on the truck before.

The pads came in a brown cardboard box, so they could have given me the Value-Line instead of Mopar. I thought buying OEM pads would be the best as I have read a lot of people like them and they are semi-metallic.

The brakes have a decent initial bite, then it seems like a dead area and then it bites again with more pedal force. It will lock the tires to the point the ABS comes on, I just don't like the bite of the pads if that makes sense.

I am thinking about Hawk or EBC green stuff pads. Any suggestions?

Tobin

I haven't bought new pads for my 3500 yet. But with my 1500 I went threw a bunch. I'd always just get the cheap NAPA stuff and never had a problem w/ stopping or the "bite" you have.

A friend of mine is running EBC yellowstuff pads and slotted rotors on his 01 f350. I am extremely impressed with the stopping ability, pedal firmness, and even pulling a trailer they hold up well. Amazon has them for a very reasonable price.

Sent from the BooBoo Bus

I have powerslot cryo rotors and hawk pads on all 4 corners. It was a huge improvement over the factory stuff that originally on. 90k on the brakes and rotors and there's virtually no wear.

If your parts came in a brown cardboard box it probably wasnt value-line. In my experience the value line stuff is usually in a white box that looks like it was made in china. I stay away from the value-line cause I figure if I'm going to buy junk ill just go to advanced auto or whatever.

If you are talking to NAPA, ask them about the police grade pads and rotors. They work great. Made stopping with 35's the same as stopping with stock brakes and stock tires.

if you're looking for some REAL stopping power, the stock calipers are as much a problem as finding the right pads. Using SS lines makes a huge difference too. These are a bit pricey but, they made my 8200lbs truck stop like a sports car. They come with their own performance pads

0251.jpg

29.jpg

Auto zone duralast severe/extreme duty pads work great if you're on a budget. Lifetime free replacement. Been running them on my work truck that grosses 18k daily.

Tapamaxxing

Well I feel like a idiot. When I did the brake job I bedded the pads in like a friend of mine convinced me to do even though I knew I shouldn't. 12 hard stops to the point you get massive brake fade. Well I did that and the brakes have always felt horrible. I yanked the wheels off the other night and took a polishing pad to the rotors and it would barely touch them. I glazed the rotors over, they were hard as glass, so I cut them in the brake lathe (PIA without the right adapters) and the truck stops perfect now. All OEM pads and rotors and my own bed in procedure!

Tobin

if you're looking for some REAL stopping power, the stock calipers are as much a problem as finding the right pads. Using SS lines makes a huge difference too. These are a bit pricey but, they made my 8200lbs truck stop like a sports car. They come with their own performance pads

0251.jpg

29.jpg

Wow, those look good. What pads do they use and how much for the setup?

Tobin

Back