Best converter lock up box

MurdaManDiesels

ok, i just got my billett trans. built and i went with a Georend tripple disk converter.. whitch lock up box do you recomend? ats,Suncoast,TS performans..?

Make a lock up switch that you control and it will always work right unless you mess up.

I hear TS performance has a nice one. They have 2 different kinds, a standard and a race version. The race one is suppossed to be better.

Lockup switch is nice, but to me, it's stupid to have to flip a switch every freaking time you take off from a stop to make the freaking truck drive nice. I'm going to start looking for a controller that I can tell the thing when to lockup, and when to hit 4th gear, so I don't have to manually shift my $7000 transmission.

Or am I stupid for thinking that someone should be able to make these expensive damn things shift when I want??
Chris

Lockup switch is nice, but to me, it's stupid to have to flip a switch every freaking time you take off from a stop to make the freaking truck drive nice. I'm going to start looking for a controller that I can tell the thing when to lockup, and when to hit 4th gear, so I don't have to manually shift my $7000 transmission.

Or am I stupid for thinking that someone should be able to make these expensive damn things shift when I want??
Chris

Im with you on this one.
Brad Ponci says to run HOBBS switches and still keep the toggles to manually override it.

I talked to TS a couple weeks ago and their race lockup box does converter lockup and O/D.

Chris

You realize you can mount a Potentiometer in the cab with a knob that takes the place of the TPS and you can adjust the O/D shift point to wherever you want it, right?

As for the lockup switch, I personally dont want my truck to stay locked when it is shifting all the time. Only when im racing or something. Mine drives just fine without ever using the lockup switch during normal driving.

Eric

You also have a 47RH...apparently, it's difficult to make a 47RE shift right behind a 12v.

Chris

The potentiometer will do the O/D like you want though.

What dont you like about how yours drives without a lockup switch or manual O/D? Shift too fast?

I loved the one that i had from sp diesel, it used the cruise control buttons so you can hide the controller box and it still looks stock.

Yep...3rd at 30, 4th locked at 40...sucks

You really need to do the POT then. Adjusting it also adjusts when the truck locks up in 3rd. It doesent change the 3rd gear shift point though.

I can adjust mine to lockup in 3rd from about 30-45mph. I can adjust overdrive to come in from about 35-65mph. Wherever O/D comes in, the converter locks about 5mph after that.

Heck it wouldnt cost you but $4 to try it. I think you would like it.

Also, Brad Ponci came up with a slick pressure lever for the 47re/rh. It brings the pressure on quicker, so that i would assume it shifts later in the RPM band, and downgears easier. Here is a thread with a couple pictures of it on the 2nd page:

valve body pressure lever - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

And here is what he said about it:

" I have came up with a cam over lever design that will bring the line pressure on quicker yet not limit the injection pump wide open throttle amount. Works great and you can adjust it to down shift like a allison to obtain a near perfect rpm vs gear change."

One of those might make you a lot happier with it.

Eric

Back