Best oil in a 06-5.9

I run whatever is on sale and fleetguard or hastings filters. Change it every 6,500 miles or less if I do a bunch of idling or short trips.

The one thing you need to take from this thread, any 15-40 will work with any filter as long as you do regular oil changes.

Valvoline premium blue 5-40 with oem filter 7-8k. Never an issue in 100k

First 2 oil changes were with rotella Dino but got tired of the smell. I swear rotella is liquid farts in a bottle.

Last edited:
^ This is sticky material.

If you went on the oil forum and said this you would be destroyed haha.

If its anything like another forum I haunt, those people would drive me insane with their over analyzation and thinking. It's oil folks. Not rocket science.

Amsoil synthetic and amsoil filter, I change my oil ever 15,000miles when the head was pulled off and bottem end checked at 150,000 bottem end looked new and was clean.

Rotella 15w/40 and wix filters and when mine was torn down at 230k everything looked brand new as well.

Between me and the wife I've owned 14 diesel pickups over the last 20 years and have run Delo 15-40 in all with no problems.

How often do you guys change your oil? I change mine every 5,000 miles and fuel filter every 10,000 miles. I'm beginning to think that's a little too often, I just daily drive my truck, put about 400 miles on it a week.

if you run synthetic, changing it every 5k will cost an arm and a leg. use a bypass filtration type setup on synthetic, get the 60k (or more) mile life out of the oil that it is intended to have.

I run the synthetic version of Valvoline premium blue, extreme I think its called. Anyway, I change my oil every 3-5K and change the fuel filter every oil change... Might be a little expensive and overkill but I would rather spend the money on maintenance and keep it running rather than an engine build and its down for a while.

everyone will have their own opinion of what they like because it is what "daddy" ran in his rig. its understandable...

the acknowledgment of maintenance is most important.

so here's my take.

Of COURSE never run synthetic on a fresh motor. some friction is necessary.
i have always been an amsoil nut and my 07 has had it in it since it has had 20k on it. i did a rebuild at 170k and there was no sludge by the injectors or in the pan. thats changing the oil every 12-15k and running it hard.

now a kid that runs the same oil and really loves to "roll his coal" like the cool kids do is a different story. soot is going to sludge up the oil. i dont care whose it is.

right now i am only 10k into my new motor and it has delo in it with a wix filter.

i will never run rotella in something i love. do your research on the breakdown of that oil in certain pressure and temp situations. i think its even posted on amsoil's page. to me that's like running a fram filter.

also, as much as i love amsoil i will never run there bypass system. too many horror stories.

15w-40 rottella with fleet guard filters. change oil every 5000 miles and fuel filter (fleet guard) every 10,000 miles

depends on where you live and drive, a good synthetic will do nothing but cost more on an off road truck when compared to a decent hydrocracked oil like conoco powerdrive 15-40. A highway driven truck will be good with a synthetic and extended oil changes but an off road truck eats too much dirt and just contaminates the oil. You guys running high duration and timing boxes are more prone to a high soot level and require shorter oil change intervals due to the fuel not all making it into the bowl. some of the guys that end up with broken rings and damaged pistons with monotherm and stock pistons overlook the high nitration, soot and oxidation content in the engine oil. Oil sampling on higher h.p. trucks will help you avoid costly repairs, I change oil at 5k miles and the sample says i am changing too soon but i like it that way. Be careful on your extended drains if running high hp and aftermarket air filters.

Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 with a Baldwin BT7349 ( I believe) Also Baldwin fuel filters (stock bowl and GDP MK-2 kit). Oil changes at 5K as well as fuel filters. 196K miles on the truck and about 1,000 on the overhaul I just finished up. Going to send a sample in at 5k miles

I only ran Rotella in mine. 220k, changed oil and filter every 4-5k. Just tore it down, coulda packaged up most of the parts and sold em as new again.

Back