best setup running spool up front

DarrenKrueger

STRAIGHT SIX SLED PULLER
Have a full spool on the front of our 2.6 truck, right now we run a posi lock cable to engage it and its a real pita seems sketchy getting it to lock in, never know 100% if its locked in, any better setups out there? also go through one a year. Thinking our best bet is ditching the spool for a locker. Thoughts

Put a hub kit on with drive flanges in the hubs with big axles and be done. An Allen wrench and a small screw driver and in 3-4 min you can go from full lock to one side free to load and unload. R&P will then be weakest part.

Put a hub kit on with drive flanges in the hubs with big axles and be done. An Allen wrench and a small screw driver and in 3-4 min you can go from full lock to one side free to load and unload. R&P will then be weakest part.

Why? The 3.0 trucks are running the stock outers and they hold up well. They typically wipe out the ring and pinion with the setup now.

Have a full spool on the front of our 2.6 truck, right now we run a posi lock cable to engage it and its a real pita seems sketchy getting it to lock in, never know 100% if its locked in, any better setups out there? also go through one a year. Thinking our best bet is ditching the spool for a locker. Thoughts

I have 35 spline Yukon 1 piece passenger side axel with an Eaton E-locker. Truthfully... It's the most appreciated mod I've ever done to a truck. I would never go back to a cable or welded set up again.

I have 35 spline Yukon 1 piece passenger side axel with an Eaton E-locker. Truthfully... It's the most appreciated mod I've ever done to a truck. I would never go back to a cable or welded set up again.

Is this similar to the E locks used in the front of the power wagons? If so be ready to replace it, seen several of them get destroyed in pulling applications.

I do agree that a selectable locker is the way to go.

Is this similar to the E locks used in the front of the power wagons? If so be ready to replace it, seen several of them get destroyed in pulling applications.

I do agree that a selectable locker is the way to go.

Honestly I'm not sure what model it is specifically but I don't think so. The reason I say that is I got it from East Coast cause that's what they use in all their trucks and to my knowledge they don't have any issues. They even run them in 3.0 trucks.

Honestly I'm not sure what model it is specifically but I don't think so. The reason I say that is I got it from East Coast cause that's what they use in all their trucks and to my knowledge they don't have any issues. They even run them in 3.0 trucks.

Ok, the guys I knew that had them got a year or so out of them. Then they would start to have trouble engaging, and then shortly after would fail.

The electromechanical setup just isn't a good solution on a locker IMHO. Can't get the force of the air setups to ensure full engagement.

It is a more economical choice though.

Thanks Z. Up to this point I've had no issues and I hope it stays that way but ill keep my oranges peeled.

Thanks Z. Up to this point I've had no issues and I hope it stays that way but ill keep my oranges peeled.

The 35 spline axles with the one piece passenger side setup is the way to go. They were strong enough they ripped my ball joints off and the splines just had a slight twist. LOL

All the guys in the club in my area are using powerloks, with the exception of a few. from A.S. gas and S.S. gas to 3.0. they seem to work well and you dont have to worry about a lock out, air, or electric.

I run a spool in the front of my 2.6 truck with lock outs but I'm about the only one around here. Most people either run an arb or grizzly locker with drive hubs.

I ran a front spool and one peice right side axel for a couple years. I went with a Detroit locker and went ahead and went to 35 splines at the same time. I hated the spool in the pits, but the Detroit works great.

I'm also running 35 spline front moser axkes with one piece passenger side with CAD delete and a Detroit locker.

Anybody know what the length needs to be on the 1 pc replacement axle from end of splines to center of u joint? I have an early 02 axle that still has the CAD and want to go to 35 spline shafts. Thanks

EMS off road has the kit with seals to switch everything to 35 spline including the seals. Nice kit!

35 spline axles with single piece passenger side axle and a Yukon grizzly locker. Worked great and steering was fine.

EMS off road has the kit with seals to switch everything to 35 spline including the seals. Nice kit!

Yes I have looked into the EMS kit. I was hoping to find out the lengths of the shafts, see if there is another factory application thats close and just order replacement spicer shafts that are usually about 150 bucks each instead of spending 600 for the kit. Might just have to pull my front end apart and measure things up I guess if nobody else has done this.

It all matters on your budget zstroken. I think the full hub swap is best. Only thing I ever broke after swap was r&p instead of axles n joints. I learned tryin thd cheap way on lots of drive line parts and its not cheaper doin if twice or more.

Back