Best tire for stock 3rd gen wheels

ylo73z

I have been building my truck for the last year and a half just been doing the basics , tune , exhaust , air filter , built tranny with billet shaft , right now traction is not bad but not good , it's a 2wd 06 mega cab . I just went full tilt from ATP , 90 hp DDP injectors , fleece 750cp3 , studs , htt 64.5/71/14 spit fire turbo and a new Efi live tune that is supposed to make 670hp to the tires problem is I want my truck to appear stock and get better traction , it's not a tow rig , it's driven daily so I don't want a set of slicks , I don't want different wheels unless they look stock , I just need a softer and or bigger tire that will fit on the stock wheels . Not impartial to traction bars as long as they are not too obvious . Thanks for any input

Caltracs are kinda sneaky, and nitto 420s are a popular choice for tires.

They don't make the size I need in that tire , it has 275/70/17 on it right now , not sure how much larger I could go on a stock wheel

As far as size I had 35x12.5 on stock wheel, rubs the control arm a bit.

I've got goodyear wrangled durations, they're an aggressive all terrain. I'm quite pleased with the ride, wear, and lack of road noise.

Sounds like I'm out of luck

It's going to be hard to find a good tire for as small as you want it. Usually stuff that size doesn't like weight.

I ran Hankook Ventus V12's on my Audi and they gripped like you wouldn't believe (for not being slicks).

Maybe try and get your truck closer to 6000lbs, and then start looking at what heavy sedans run like an Audi S8, or a BMW 760L.

Trucks have been 10's on 265 nitto 420, or toyo proxes on the stock 17" aluminum wheels

I was thinking of a tire like that but dropping from a 275/70/17 to a 265/60/16 will probably look weird and cost me on the highway

I was thinking of a tire like that but dropping from a 275/70/17 to a 265/60/16 will probably look weird and cost me on the highway

That's a 32.2" tire down to a 28.5" tire. I am pretty confident I have seen the nitto 420s larger than that

420's only have the one option in a 17" and its a 30" tall tire. You would need to go to a 20" wheel to get more tire and not loose height.

They do work good but even with caltracs and the largest 420's traction is limited in a 2wd.

Last edited:
Ok , it's something to think about , I'll probably go with the caltracks and see about wheel changes in the future , for now it will have to be a on the roll racer lol

I'm sort of in the same boat with a 2wd. I ended up putting 2nd gen brakes on the rear so I could fit a 15 inch wheel and slicks for the track. However, I've seen a 3rd gen truck with the M&H drag radial, the big 390 tire, mounted on a widened stock aluminum wheel. It was widened towards the inside so it didn't stick out but had a wide beefy tire on it, looked really good and those drag radials work too. Something to think about.

On edit, how do you like the 3.40 gear?

Proxes st2 is a great tire and the smoothest I have ever owned. Also has great traction for my half ton.

They have a 275/60 and a 285/60 in a 17 in tire.

Proxes st2 is a great tire and the smoothest I have ever owned. Also has great traction for my half ton.

They have a 275/60 and a 285/60 in a 17 in tire.

weight rating sucks on them for the front end of a 2500...

I like the idea of widened stock wheels , 340 gears are good , cruise at 80mph below 2000rpm , 2nd generation brake brackets and rotors wouldn't work on getting a 15" wheel on my 05 st , I had 15" wheels custom made that would not stick out the bed ...didn't fit even with serious grinding .

I am wiling to try any tire that will help with traction , don't really need the load rating because I will just change the back tired but I don't want shorter tire , I still will drive it daily

Back