Best way to 500hp from a 7.3

RideIcon

CRAZY
I'm bringing my truck back down to a legal stance.... so I'm going to start doing some engine stuff. I know about building the cummins engines up but haven't even thought of doing anything to this truck as it had an 18" lift on it....

well how do we get to 500+hp BESIDES doing a cummins, lol, believe me I've thought about it.... but figure for that $$$ I can just get an old 2wd 12V and have a dedicated race truck...

want to get Some power cheap... Don't want to do much to the trans, although I'm not thinking its not going to be needed at some point:doh:
I've got a 5" exhuast, and thats it right now, the programmers have been taken off and are gone, which should I get? what displays?

Besides the rods, and trans. Your looking at injectors, fuel system, turbo and good tuning. Big oil wouldn't hurt but isn't necessary with a set of hybrids.

DarkShadowDiesel said:
rods, head studs, turbo, hybrids and a fuel system. should put you over 500+... lukecline made 550 w/o oil.

^^^^What he said plus my info as well. A TN ball bearing or GT38R will get you 475 easy. Luke used a modded H2E for the 550hp. Don't forget valve springs when you do the head studs.

PMR rods are only good for 400hp as others have said. If you want 500hp then you have to get either factory forged rods or billet rods and put them in as well.

Good Luck,

Burner said:
It would cost less to drop a 5.9 in it....... 500 on OEM parts is a cake walk.

that cummins bug keeps bitting me....:bang

maybe i'll be happy with it at 400hp? :hehe:

what year engine has the forged internals? or can i order them from the dealer or something? ................. screw it, guys keep talking me outa big power on THIS truck unless i do a cummins or something alright?:poke:

Talk to Danny or Doc and see what they say. I think they have 30k between the two of them in burt or blown 7.3's.

Burner said:
It would cost less to drop a 5.9 in it....... 500 on OEM parts is a cake walk.

You have any idea what it costs to drop a 5.9 in??? Your looking at 10k easy for a 12v, close to 15k for a CR...

A 7.3 can be at 500 with a turbo, hybrid injectors, and all the attchments...

RideIcon said:
If I dropped a 12V or common rail in there do you think there is anyway in hell I'd limit myself to 500hp?LOL

That is quite true, I know if I had a 12V or CR I wouldn't be shooting for "just" 500....
So you got me there.....:bang

On edit: Especially after I've seen 500+ on a CR with half the mods my 24V has and I'm only at 436HP:doh: Guess its time for bigger injectors and turbo....

Last edited:
csipsd said:
You have any idea what it costs to drop a 5.9 in??? Your looking at 10k easy for a 12v, close to 15k for a CR...

I have around $10k into my '97 F250 INCLUDING the cost of the truck (319k miles)......If you are a patient/savvy buyer/seller of parts (Ebay), its amazing how cheap you can get things done:rockwoot:

Just to keep it all fair even with a cummins swap you would need head studs, upgraded turbo, big injectors, head work(valve springs at least), trans upgrade. It all adds cost and is not cheap. That is why I built my 7.3 and did not turn to the dark side.

Back