Best way to get the fuel lines off a VP?

BigB82789

Today I started tearing into the engine. I have all the lines unbolted from the head, but now I can only get 2 or 3 (can't remember now how many I actually did) off of the VP. Is there a trick I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

I think 1,2, and 4 come off then you can get to the others.

They come off in 2 sets of 3 right? I'm thinkin I just need a stubby wrench.

Am I right on the stubby wrench? It's the only way I can figure to get at the rest.

You can get them all with a regular open end you just have to get the angle right. Crow's feet work nice if you have a set.

I do it the un-orthodox way I loosen all the clamps and take them off, I then loosen all the lines at the head then pull the lines out 1 by 1 off the pump. I know people will call me dumb and stupid and all that other stuff but to me it seems easier to do it this way.
PS I have only done 3 VP swaps to date so by no means am I the VP guru.
Brandon

I thought about that but had heard that its a pain trying to match them back up. I think I'll try it with a stubby, and if that don't work i'll do it your way.

You do have to reach underneath it quite a bit to get them all loose but keep in mind, once you have the first set off then getting to the remaining 3 towards the block will be easy. Also, if you're just replacing the pump you don't have to completely remove the back set of lines, just take the clamps loose from the intake, take the line nuts off the back of the pump and push them out of the way when you're ready to pull the pump. If you do it that way then you don't have to loosen the line nuts on the head back on #5 and #6. Makes it go quite a bit faster. The first 3 or 4 I did I took everything off but I keep doing less and less every time. I'm down to about 56 mins for a VP swap.

I'm not doing a VP swap, I'm pulling the head so I just needed the lines off. I used a stubby wrench this morning and got em off in 2 sets of three. Thanks for all the advice.

I do it the un-orthodox way I loosen all the clamps and take them off, I then loosen all the lines at the head then pull the lines out 1 by 1 off the pump. I know people will call me dumb and stupid and all that other stuff but to me it seems easier to do it this way.
PS I have only done 3 VP swaps to date so by no means am I the VP guru.
Brandon

This is the way I do it also! Never had any issues.

Back