Better turbo than a BD super b special

S475_12V

RE Killer
Looking for a better turbo than the super b. It's a great turbo but the wheel is cast. I'm looking for a charger that I can play at the dragstrip this summer, and then use it for a top turbo on my twins this fall.

I have a set of SDX 7x.010s with .0035 lift, 194/220 cam, billet pushrods, dual valve springs ti retainers, monster mikes head studs. Among the other odds and ends.

What's going to be the ticket?

What's wrong with cast? If it'll move the air you need, the way the wheel is made makes no difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

I would give Johnny at Stainless Diesel a call. Whatever your turbo needs he can address them. This man knows more about airflow than anyone I have ever met. One of the nicest guys I've ever come across.

In all honesty it's all about peace of mind. If I can have a superior part in something that's what I want.

I'll do that. I'd also like to get some other opinions from the average guy and his first hand experience. Anyone have any?

I really don't see a super b special being much of a problem and know some people that have run them as the secondary charger in compound sets as well, and they work very well. Look at chargers like the bell USB. At this point they are very old school compared to what is available in today's market. And also under sized for your application. But the point is many of them took a tremendous amount of abuse and never let go or came apart. IIRC browns diesel used one as a secondary and put down over 1300hp. Other people have sprayed them into the low 11's and perhaps even high 10's for a longtime. I currently have one on my truck that has been kicked around and abused for about 8-9years on various trucks without ever being rebuilt.

I guess my point is cast wheels seem perfectly reliable in my experience. The main motivator for going with a billet wheel would be the new technology and being able to have a higher flowing wheel while still staying in the same class.
Hope this helps.

Also consider giving Pius at bell turbos a call. Another very intelligent and experienced guy in the turbo world.
Sean

Last edited:
We use this turbo as a single or a twin upgrade to our R850 and R1000 twins all the time with no issues. But if its a billet wheel your looking for hold off for a couple months as we are releasing a whole new wheel program for many of our turbos.

Hector

That turbo has made over 600 hp many times.... with no failures from it being operated within its map. I dont see why cast is an issue sounds like you have been drinking to much koolaide.

You're funny, forgive me for wanting a superior part...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
We use this turbo as a single or a twin upgrade to our R850 and R1000 twins all the time with no issues. But if its a billet wheel your looking for hold off for a couple months as we are releasing a whole new wheel program for many of our turbos.

Hector

Thanks Hector, I'll probably run the special through the summer, and hopefully you'll have a billet wheel I can scoop up and throw in when I put the compounds on.

Super B Special is a great turbo. Keep it at or below 45 psi and it will last a very long time. I ran mine, which a rebuilt turbo, at 45-50 for several years and when I sold it, it was still well within specs.

You're funny, forgive me for wanting a superior part...

I guess... yet you still have a vp... I would think a good driveable 500-700 hp truck would be ideal and the bd super b special aka a 64/71 12 or 14 would be great at that in a set of twins or as a single.

super b special has made just shy of 900 wheel with a little no2. if your just wanted to spend money to say you have a billet wheel be my guest. if your building an all out setup and want the most hp achievable, billet may be your answer for weight savings and so on. weekend warrior? no need. just my .2

I guess... yet you still have a vp... I would think a good driveable 500-700 hp truck would be ideal and the bd super b special aka a 64/71 12 or 14 would be great at that in a set of twins or as a single.

True story on the vp, but I also have a p7100 truck. This vp truck is fun to daily and it's something new too me. I enjoy building these trucks just as much as I enjoy flogging on them. I hate to break something though that could have been prevented easily.

once you throw performance in the sentence, reliability goes out. if you want something you can flog on and worry about preventing a break, keep it stock. not being a dick, mearly speaking the truth. a billet wheel can exit the housing the same as a cast wheel. if your going after a weekend dd truck, truthfully there really is no need for billet unless you want it. if you want a little better spool up, go for it. is it going to be SUPER noticiable on a weekend truck thats worth the extra coin? i think not but i am not you. just trying to help you save some coin that truthfully doesnt neet to be spent by the sounds of what your after.

True story on the vp, but I also have a p7100 truck. This vp truck is fun to daily and it's something new too me. I enjoy building these trucks just as much as I enjoy flogging on them. I hate to break something though that could have been prevented easily.

And they do a great job as a dd, just like your turbo will be awesome and reliable make goid power. Why change it when with a set of twins it can do everything you need and be close as a single.

It's funny how threads always drift in the direction of "this is what I would do, or this is what you should do". The technical aspect of this forum has been shot all to Hell.

Don't get me wrong yalls opinion is appreciated and very valuable sometimes, but what has happened to turbo specs, compressor maps etc.

I'm looking for a bomb proof secondary I can run as a single through the summer. Hell if the special is as close to bomb proof as I'm going to get, I'll keep it.
I don't have a problem with that.

It's funny how threads always drift in the direction of "this is what I would do, or this is what you should do". The technical aspect of this forum has been shot all to Hell.

Don't get me wrong yalls opinion is appreciated and very valuable sometimes, but what has happened to turbo specs, compressor maps etc.

I'm looking for a bomb proof secondary I can run as a single through the summer. Hell if the special is as close to bomb proof as I'm going to get, I'll keep it.
I don't have a problem with that.

you didnt ask for turbo specs, nor did you ask for compressor maps. you asked for a turbo you can run as a single, thats pretty much bullet proof that you can use as a secondary turbo in a twin setup later down the road. most of us has said the super b special would be a GREAT choice being its a stout turbo for a single setup daily driven truck and with the right primary is capable of over 800 hp in a twin setup. what more info do you need?

I didn't figure I would have to ask for specs in the technical forum thought that's what tech was....

Back