BFG A/T's De-treaded on me

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
Well my 285/75/16 BFG A/T's detreaded itself while doing 80mph on the highway. Now my bed is fugged up and my tail light is busted. Just be advised after talking to a few local shops they mentioned BFG's detreaded before I said anything about my tires doing the same. Just a little FYI.

I debated tires and sizes for a week, then I bought some 285/75/16 Mastercraft AT2's. Seem like a good tire for almost $100 less than BFG's each.

-Dustin-

I had d rated on a 1ton ford once without problems. Were you loaded heavy? I have always ran these tires. Even on a 3/4 ton chevy I used to have.

I've always run BFG A/T on my trucks & never a problem with them. Is it one certain size that has issues?

did you cross rotate?

I NEVER run D rated tires on these trucks... I don't care if the weight rating is "high enough"

Did the tread seperate from the tire all the way around? That will happen if you have a slow leak and run high speed long enough for the tire pressure to drop too low. Had it happen to one of mine running 75+ for a few hours.

Here are a couple of pictures of what mine looked like. When I went to the only Discount Tire that had replacements, the guy just looked at it immediately said slow leak at high speeds for extended period caused it. We found what looked like probably a screw that was in the tire and causing slow leak.

12_15_06_09_8_08_12_0.jpeg

12_15_06_09_8_08_12_2.jpeg

detread001.jpg

Skinned em. There was no leak, tire is still at the same pressure I had checked it at earlier that week. Currently holding pressure a week later [pictures just taken]. I recovered my wheel well plastic thing, and my mudflap, but a state guy stopped, took the tread off the road as I was walking toward it, I waved him down, and he continued to drive off. Thanks for offering a lending hand :poke:

Unfortunately I've heard many different things about D vs E load range. I dont know who to believe, some say D some say E. I was actually looking at E load tires and the tire shop talked me into these D range mastercrafts. Although the E range were China made.

Alot of folks have told me to complain to BFG...but I doubt it'll do anything, probably take months of testing, I'll have to ship the tire to them, just for them to say it's not their fault.

-Dustin-

with all the crap that firestone went threw i dont think they want to you to put a add in the local news paper and it end up on aol, if they dont want to play play just remind them about firestone

My buddy's entire family drives 5 different Cummins. Three trucks have BFG's. Last night his dad's 3rd Gen got some fender reconstruction from BFG's detreading on him, just like mine. I told him to start swapping tires a few months back, he called me last night with the bad news. He's got them on his truck so he's buying a set of used Toyos off of me. BUYERS BEWARE!

-Dustin-

Mine were D, not sure on his. I hear people say that there is no difference just pressure, but I am beginning to think E's are required on our trucks.

-Dustin-

Low pressure will cause heat build up and kill any tire! I have run BFGs on my vehicles as well as Toyo's with good results... The way the sidewall of the tires in the photos looked I would say it was run on low pressure for a long period of time at freeway speeds. Could also have started from some sidewall damage or even a manufacturing defect... But especially after the Firestone debacle from years ago... defects are pretty rare. BFG is a Michilen brand and they build pretty darn good tires! Make sure to match the load rating and tire pressures to your paticular rig and check pressures often.

The tires I am currently running are E-rated Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction tires and I like them. They have an agressive M/T tread but are not too loud and have a lot of siping in two different styles to they have excellent wet traction which most M/Ts do not have due to the lack of siping. The sipes are als full depth so they will be good in the wet even after they are half warn unlike some other siped teres.

They are definately louder than my BFG A/Ts were but not bad at all.

I will be writing a review for Diesel World on these tires soon... Check them out, they are worth a look and have the load rating and pedegree (Dunlop is a Goodyear brand) to be a very good tire. I do not have enough miles on them yet to say how well they will last.

Hope this helps.

never had a problem with D rated on any of my trucks.. But prefer E rated tires anyways. And I've seen the Toyos and pro comps with their fair share of falling apart too.. Seems like the quality in a lot of things has take a turn for the worst in recent years..

I've been thinking about selling the D rated ones I got for some E's...maybe it's just me but D rated tires always look like they are low on air. I just wish I knew if the E's were just rated for more pressure because of structural differences? Obviously though you take the same tire and put 80psi instead of 55psi and its going to be firmer and flex less.

-Dustin-

Back