Big Blue24- Turbo?

Finally got all the bugs and kinks worked out, got the exhaust all tight and fixed all the rattles.

It was easy to get it to work, difficult to make it perfect!

I ended up using 4 washers as spacers to hold the wastegate head back a little further for more wastegate spring preload because drive pressure was blowing open the gate. I can now build 40+ psi boost.

EGT's are down maybe 50-100* but it is warmer now so it might have helped more than 50*. Chugging around town egts are higher 5-600 30 mph where as HX 35 was 4-500. Cruising temp on the freeway is a touch higher maybe 50* = 650* at 65 mph. Turbo spools a smidge later in the 5-10 mph 2nd gear range but feels more torquey at idle. The power hit when boost comes on hits harder than the HX for sure. 30+ psi, this turbo kills the HX in raw power. Much easier to smoke the tires, and finally got my FE Valair to slip when I let out of it too slow and heated it up.

All in all, well worth it. I'm into the project time plus 520 bucks. After I sell my HX for 300, i'll be sitting pretty!

Last edited:
what are you using for a filter now, and why couldnt you clock the comp housing down to eliminate some of the bends in that pipe?

I didn't reclock the compressor because the wastegate actuator is mounted to it and I decided that it would be easier to add a bend or three than rig up a spring wastegate system that would use drive pressure to open instead of boost+dp.

School you on third gen turbos.

early 03'=hy35-9cm open housing same wheel as HX 35
late 03' early 04' HE 341-9cm open housing 56mm wheel instead of 54mm 7 blade HX35

04.5+ 5.9= HE351cw 60mm compressor 9cm open housing and according to email I got from Holset via cummins, 67 lb/min is what the HE351 can flow.

HX 35 can push 50-52 lb/min
Super B/S300 57mm wheel 61lb/min
Garrett GT37 82 ? 64 lb/min
Super B Special 64mm wheel 80lb/min

According to my calcs the HE351cw, what I installed, can support 480 HP. Some heavily overfueled, over boosted, over spooled 3rd gens have pushed lower 500 teens with this turbo.:thankyou2:

Wow, thats some pretty good info, thanks

I knew that CR's were pushing 5 plus a stock turbo, but I thought it was because their heads flow more you know that sorta thing. Well good luck to you.

Glad to hear that it's working but personally I woulda saved some more money and bought a 62-64mm turbo with a larger exhaust housing and wheel on it. Have you checked the drive pressures on that turbo?

I wonder why nobody makes a larger turbine housing for that thing. They'd sell a ton of them.

II kind of makes a larger housing, but they sell it as their stealth kit. Their stealth kit also machines the center section for a larger shaft and bearing and a larger exhaust housing and wheel. But I bet it is $$, not worth it to mess with a 60mm wheel.

BgBlDodge, I did some extensive drive pressure testing before this turbo swap and I finally got my exhaust all buttoned up to where I can make a fair comparison. I will check drive pressures and make a full posting of the whole project. Associated costs, benefits, and hopefully a dyno run to publish some numbers!

That is pretty interesting, what size is the HE351 turbine wheel? Sooooo I am assuming that is the model that has the electronically controlled wastegate correct? And a wastegate from an '03-'04 would need to be fitted on it? What do you think is the largest the wastegate hole could be enlarged to?

The HE351 04.5+ does have an electronically controlled solenoid that opens a bypass vent system that bleeds off boost before it goes down the silicone hose to the wastegate actuator head. No modification is needed to run this turbo, it has a fully functional mechanical wastegate that starts to move at 24 psi and limits boost to about 26 psi. All that I did was add a new longer silicone hose with a cheap wastegate controller in the middle of the line so I could set wastegate to whatever I want.

In the attached pic you can see how the solenoid is plumbed directly to the compressor and the silicone hose comes off the side of the molded aluminum bung.

The whole system is fed by a small 2mm orifice. When the solenoid is powered up, it lifts an internal sealing washer and vents air incoming through the 2mm orifice back to the low pressure inducer side of the compressor. When the solenoid has no power, it closes the sealing washer and all boosted air incoming through the 2mm orifice makes a 90* turn and goes down the silicone hose to the mechanical wastegate head. Regardless of solenoid position air always have a free path to the wastegate head via the the silicone hose, the way the solenoid lets boost rise on the newer trucks is it bleeds the silicone hose area by opening a vent larger than the 2mm inlet so there is not enough pressure in the hose/wastegate head to open the wastegate.

The wastegate on these turbos has a 7/8" hole with a 1.25" puck covering it.
That is 22mm hole and 32mm puck.

I opened my wastegate hole up to 27mm. You might be able to go up to 28mm but with my crude dremel tool grinding ability, I opted to leave a little more coverage. 27mm is roughly 33% larger opening than stock 22mm.

As far as turbine wheel, the HE351cw is about 61mm. It is slightly larger than stock HX35 which seems to be 59-60mm.

I'll probably have lots of naysayers till I get the time,money, and wife approval to dyno my setup, but I'd say this upgrade was worth at least 50 HP. I have no HX dyno runs with my current mods so we'd have to use a little extrapolation to evaluate this turbo. I did notice that ATS's website claims the HX35 flows a measly 44 lb/min. And Holset/Cummins told me 67 lb/min for the HE351cw.

Last edited:
Back