big single and a auto trnasmission

rpainter

What is the benefit of running a looser converter in a auto trans with a big single?? I wanted to have my triple disk's stall adjust to around 2,000 but for the stall adjust and a freshen up it will run me over $1,500 so i wanted to know worth the money spent or not??

looser converter will get you higher rpm volume of air pushing the turbo before you have a high load on it.

What converter are you running? Thats a bit pricey, you can get a new one with requested stall for cheaper than 1500...

What converter are you running? Thats a bit pricey, you can get a new one with requested stall for cheaper than 1500...

well the 1500 is the restall of the converter and to refresh my trans.My triple disk when bought had a life time warranty if bought with their valve body and billet input shaft. the owner told me he would do one free stall adjust well the company was sold and the new owners told me warranty only good with original proof of purchase.

looser converter will get you higher rpm volume of air pushing the turbo before you have a high load on it.

So is it worth it to adjust the stall or not? In your opinion of course. The turbo is a bw S471 with a 1.1 a/r

Still curious as to who built the converter...I'm a big fan of loose converters with fat singles, albeit a loose converter is much harder on an input shaft. FWIW, I'd loosen it up to 2200. $.02

Last edited:
I had a 1700 stall single disk dtt on my ppumped 01 with an s472/74/.90. It wasn't the spool of my 66 around town but the few sports cars I ate couldn't tell the difference light to light. I loved the hit of that turbo. You could count 1sec and the tires would spin and you'd launch. I love single turbos. I can't wait to build the trans on my 06 and throw a big single on it.

ok then I will plan to rest the stall to 2200 now next question will that improve or hurt the fuel mileage or will not tell the difference??

I run a 2500 stall converter on the street daily driven and a manual valve body. It's fine.

Going on the CR in your sig?

I run a stock stall with a s468 and it can be tough to get on the charger when staging in hot temps, but for street driving its great.

I have a s472 with a goerend 2200 rpm stall and a manual valve body and it drives awesome out on the street. I can stall to about 15-18psi before a launch with that converter

My Dakota has a 2200rpm stall with manual valvebody and I have no problem lighting the HE341 in my twins. With a 1700rpm stall I could not light the turbo on the brakes. Now I can build 30 psi on the brakes. Daily driving is fine too, lockup can be harsh though if you try locking it up too soon lol.

Back