Bigger Turbo and Higher WOT EGTS???

Foster#17

Hi, I have a 2004 cummins. ( Built Trans, Head Studs, Smarty TNT tunes, Water Meth, Super B R600 66mm turbo) (100hp nozzles in the box to install monday) I race on the weekends and with my stock turbo would see 1500 degrees at the end of the quarter mile. I recently installed my new super B R600 66mm Turbo. I use my edge CTS to monitor egts. I usually test my truck with the 0-60 feature on the CTS after installing new parts. For some reason my EGTs are getting hotter even faster now at WOT with the bigger turbo??? In a 0-60 run its hitting 1450 degrees with the water meth in 5.9 seconds?? Its making 37psi of boost. I dont know if I should even install the bigger nozzles if its already running this hot with the fuel I have now? Or am i wrong and the bigger nozzles will help spool and keep it cool? I am lost????? :doh:

Last edited:
You egts get hotter faster because the new turbo doesn't spool as fast as the stock one did. Your boost is low so nozzles would help take advantage of your new found air. Read up on the utterly obnoxious amount of information on this site and you'll find your question is easily answered. Keep in mind that one symbol at the end of each statement or question is just as effective as four or five.

It seems to be spooling fine though? So it should be making more than 37psi at wide open throttle? I would think it would be spooled by 3500rpms?

37psi is the product of the lack of fuel you are getting in during the combustion cycle. throw your tips on and see where it goes. You will also notice high egt's once you start to max out your pump as you will lose your pressure.

Alright thanks, I already have a lift pump and bag of parts for the CP3 on the way! Hoping that's enough to keep up with the injectors!

No, it is hitting 37psi long before 3500 rpms, Im just saying that's the max rpms im hitting so you would think it wouldn't be so hot

I have a Silverbullet 66 and smarty tntr tuning. I used to have 125hp nozzles but am back on stock fuel. I see 52/53 pounds of boost and only cross over 1200 degrees egts at 100+mph

Yea I'd be looking for a boost leak also

If you do a search on here you will find that if yr truck is a early 04 then yr injectors are smaller the 04.5 and new trucks. More fuel can and will lower egts. Helps spool the truck and mix the new found air better. Put the tips on and I bet you will see a drop in egt and quicker spool up. Running to lean will get hott

Back