Billet Rods

Why is it that more drivetrain parts are broken during sledpulling? Is it due to the fact that the input torque is more than doubled by the transfer case low range (talking about rear differential input)?

I have never broken any drivetrain parts while drag racing, but I have broke the rearend on my truck 3 times while sled pulling.

Why is it that more drivetrain parts are broken during sledpulling?.

Thats because it only lasts 10 seconds, the sled doesn't weigh anything because its on wheels, and you are spinning your tires on dirt.

I know, even I'm confused after all that crap.
:bang

This drag-racin, pullin argument came up because of a question, is any one running a H-beam in a competition puller? Ok if some one is running it in a cummins racin.....who?

I like the look of that H-beam, but after seeing how mine bent, the ibeam looks way better suited to resist that same bend.

Yes, the rods are running in High Hp drag race engines. I will let those that have them know and see if they want to come here and talk about it.

The only thing different between the two is sled pullers break rear ends a lot more than drag racers do and it's not due to more HP or Torque from the motor. If Sleddy every pulled his head out from between his legs long enough to wipe the brown stuff off, event he should have figured it out by now.

Think about what is going on here. The torque level the rear axle is seeing is far greater than in a drag race application and that is due to the gear reduction multiplying the torque up, not the motor. That's the same reason you only go 35 MPH while a drag racer goes 145 MPH. In a Drag race application the torque to the rear axle is reduced again due to the gearing, it's got nothing to do with the motor! Jimmy Smith has been running a scheid sled pull motor for 3 season that I know of and has yet to break a rearend. Transmissions and torque converters where all the torque is are another thing though.

The motors are the same power output in both cases.

Yes, the rods are running in High Hp drag race engines. I will let those that have them know and see if they want to come here and talk about it.

The only thing different between the two is sled pullers break rear ends a lot more than drag racers do and it's not due to more HP or Torque from the motor. If Sleddy every pulled his head out from between his legs long enough to wipe the brown stuff off, event he should have figured it out by now.

Think about what is going on here. The torque level the rear axle is seeing is far greater than in a drag race application and that is due to the gear reduction multiplying the torque up, not the motor. That's the same reason you only go 35 MPH while a drag racer goes 145 MPH. In a Drag race application the torque to the rear axle is reduced again due to the gearing, it's got nothing to do with the motor! Jimmy Smith has been running a scheid sled pull motor for 3 season that I know of and has yet to break a rearend. Transmissions and torque converters where all the torque is are another thing though.

The motors are the same power output in both cases.
A drag racer has made 1903 hp?Doesnt seem right on the time slips.

A drag truck is pulling only the weight of the truck not a extra 40.000 lb pound pluss drag weight down the track.

Dale

Diesel I Wish I Were A Tech is changing his argument now that he has lost the original issue. LMFAO:shake:

The original discussion was, do a drag racing motor get stressed as much as a pulling engine?

The correct answer is, No, it does not.

Why it was brought up, was Scott was wondering if the rods D T is selling will hold up in a pulling situation.

The correct answer is, WE DONT KNOW. Because, they are only run in low power, low resistance, low stress,(in comparison to pulling engines) drag racing trucks.

In my experien$e, if a product has not been severely tested in a pulling application, no matter where else it has been, you are about to become a product te$ter.

After all this, and since Scott has arguably the most known Diesel pulling truck on the planet, Diesel Tech should step up and DONATE him a set of rods, and then we will know.

A drag truck is pulling only the weight of the truck not a extra 40.000 lb pound pluss drag weight down the track.

Dale

And no sled pulling truck is pulling 40,000 lbs plus drag weight either. Your using tremendous gear reduction to make it happen and the motor is the same. That's the whole point. If a drag truck makes 1400 Hp at 5500 RPM and a sled puller makes 1400 HP 5500 RPM it's the same damn thing only a sled puller say its more. Ask Dan Scheid if he sold Jimmy Smith a detune motor or Dennis Perry if he got a detune motor. Answer is really simple...... NO!

I've lost nor won any argument as Sleddy wants to believe. Most any person that sled pulls and comes out to the drag strip breaks, so why is that? It must be because Sleddy told the motor to break the transmission, rear end or driveline to fall out on the track. All I've done is allow Sleddy to come put both his feet in his mouth again, but he is pretty good at doing that all by himself!

And no sled pulling truck is pulling 40,000 lbs plus drag weight either. Your using tremendous gear reduction to make it happen and the motor is the same. That's the whole point. If a drag truck makes 1400 Hp at 5500 RPM and a sled puller makes 1400 HP 5500 RPM it's the same damn thing only a sled puller say its more. Ask Dan Scheid if he sold Jimmy Smith a detune motor or Dennis Perry if he got a detune motor. Answer is really simple...... NO!

I've lost nor won any argument as Sleddy wants to believe. Most any person that sled pulls and comes out to the drag strip breaks, so why is that? It must be because Sleddy told the motor to break the transmission, rear end or driveline to fall out on the track. All I've done is allow Sleddy to come put both his feet in his mouth again, but he is pretty good at doing that all by himself!

I don't getinto these pissing matches but when you guote me.and then say And no sled pulling truck is pulling 40,000 lbs plus drag weight either. Your using tremendous gear reduction to make it happen stress is stress on the drive train no matter what gear ratio you have at the end of the pulling track when the sled stop you and you damm near kill the motor and you being sutch a expert telling all of us that a drag motor gets the same load on it.I'm realy glad I got taught some thing here.:hehe:

And no sled pulling truck is pulling 40,000 lbs plus drag weight either.

Sleddy to come put both his feet in his mouth again, but he is pretty good at doing that all by himself!

Whose feet are where?

SOMEBODY EXPLAIN TO THIS HILLJACK WHERE THE BLEEP THE 40,000 POUNDS GOES TO?

Whose feet are where?

It goes where he says it goes. He is THE DIESEL TECH ya know. Maybe he could explain with his truck. Oh wait never mind.:hehe:

I think the poor economy has put a hurting on him. You should see the stuff he spues on other forums. If you by his rods and only his you can just bolt them in a Dmax and go. No need for silly stuff like checking balance, Piston protrusion, clearences, etc.
Diesel Tech said:
What I am saying is that if you remove stock rods and replace with our rods that balance does not change. Is the factory balance job good enough, that's up to you but unlike some other aftermarket rods ours are a true drop in replacement. They meet or exceed all factory specifications so there is no problem with being longer or shorter, heavier or lighter. Each set is balanced before you get them.
Just snap them together like Legos!:hehe:

Boy did this dumbazz sledpulling hilljack waste a ton of money and time balancing and mocking up my engine. I could have just bought his rods and been good to go. Silly me.

I have drag raced and pulled my truck. I never broke it drag racing. But I broke a bunch of stuff pulling.

Whose feet are where?

Didn't you read what he wrote.He is the DIESELTEC I guese that some of us sled pulling backwood boy's don't know notton when I went to school I did learn what it takes to move something heavy :doh:

Wow from Rods to hilljacks and Drag Racing Sledpulling dbate continues. I think he was refering to the Cummins not the DMAX Cummins doesn't have to always be balanced thanks to the Inline Design.

And whats wrong with Hilljacks?

It must be drag racing mentality-I just had one in chat tell me you cant count the weight of the wheels on the sled, since they roll..............

I'll use that one on DOT next time they have me pulled over, Officer, ya cant count the wheel tire weight, they roll!!!!:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

Ask Dan Scheid if he sold Jimmy Smith a detune motor or Dennis Perry if he got a detune motor. Answer is really simple...... NO!

well, thats kinda a wreckless statement, i'd be willing to say that either of those motors could go to another shop and find a bit more power that was left out when tuned. i know one in particular engine that we found some things that maybe could have been done a little differently that would have given it quite a bit more, while hearing the whole time that there was another part that was needed to get more. and it wasnt by all means.

Back