Billit Block

Which engine are you needing a billet block for? Are there many cases of block failure that was solely the block that failed, and not a rod going through the block?

so a rotating assembly would be a few grand

Billet crank and rods??

Rods usually run about $3000-4000 a set...Crank, umm, my guess would be more than the rods

Don't really know though, I'm a Cummins guy...you don't need that stuff until you get well over 1000hp

BTW, if it's for the 6.5, just walk away from that platform;)

Chris

I respect anyone willing to push the envelope on any platform but honestly WHY? Billet block fixes the weak mains but then what about heads, injectors, injection pump, pistons, rods, crank and everything else that's so anemic it's almost pointless to even consider spending the $$ fixing 1 weak point out of dozens. Perhaps you should look into cryo treatment for a block instead. It may exceed what you need it to handle.

I respect anyone willing to push the envelope on any platform but honestly WHY? Billet block fixes the weak mains but then what about heads, injectors, injection pump, pistons, rods, crank and everything else that's so anemic it's almost pointless to even consider spending the $$ fixing 1 weak point out of dozens. Perhaps you should look into cryo treatment for a block instead. It may exceed what you need it to handle.

But do the heads and head gaskets ever last to the point of breaking the block?? My guess is no...

Chris

I would think that much stronger and much lighter crank and rods would be first. Diesels haven't been popular long enough to get their own special crank let alone a nice block. And I have a feeling it'll be a company building a drag racer before sled pulling.

So-Cal has a stroker kit with billet crank for the d-max, last I saw it was $12k+.

I would think that much stronger and much lighter crank and rods would be first. Diesels haven't been popular long enough to get their own special crank let alone a nice block. And I have a feeling it'll be a company building a drag racer before sled pulling.

Making the bottom end on a puller lighter is a bad idea to begin with....not sure why you would want to do that.

I would agree that the 6.5 doesn't amount to much more than a boat anchor. (I own a "97 dodge 12 valve with a hamilton stage 3 big stick cam having been my latest addition to a laundry list of mods and run a 99 powerstroke for work). If you take an early 6.2 block which was made of stronger material back before gm sold detroit and girdle the bottom end, fill the block up to the freeze plugs, drop compresion, heads and bottom end studs,... 6-700 horsepower is not a problem with an inline pump. -or doubleing up 2 rotary pumps,...which has also been done. The first setup like this was in the 650 range and ran 6 seasons with no issues.-not even when a ford nine inch rear exploded and the engine revved over 9000 rpm.

I would agree that the 6.5 doesn't amount to much more than a boat anchor. (I own a "97 dodge 12 valve with a hamilton stage 3 big stick cam having been my latest addition to a laundry list of mods and run a 99 powerstroke for work). If you take an early 6.2 block which was made of stronger material back before gm sold detroit and girdle the bottom end, fill the block up to the freeze plugs, drop compresion, heads and bottom end studs,... 6-700 horsepower is not a problem with an inline pump. -or doubleing up 2 rotary pumps,...which has also been done. The first setup like this was in the 650 range and ran 6 seasons with no issues.-not even when a ford nine inch rear exploded and the engine revved over 9000 rpm.

All that work to get what a new diesel can get with a programmer on the squeeze.. Specfreakintacular...

Seems like most diesels can get that kind of power using half throttle now. Definitely a worthless motor.

its not the fact that you can drop a programmer down and make a ton of power its the fact that you built a more powerful diesel engine with your own hands. not just some tune you used your thumbs to download. thats not worthless

Back