Block Strength

little6cylinder

Everything is "fixable"
Well my truck had a good run. I had about 5000 street miles and over 100 passes on it but it finally let go. It was at ~1500hp for the majority of the season but I had to bump the power up to be competitive in Super Street due to the trucks weight. This winter weight reduction was on the list but I couldn't get it done before world finals. I bumped the timing up, tightened the gates, and fueled it a little harder... Then boom.

What options are out there right now to keep a cummins together at 2000hp. I'm not opposed to hard blocking it if that's the best option but I'd really like to be able to retain a wet block and still cruise to car shows if that's possible. I've got a 56 block here with cam bearings throughout, 14mm mains, cryo'd, etc that I can sleeve and hard block or build a deck plate engine. Or is a 6.7 a better option? Any help would be appreciated.

69CC5408-BBA6-487A-A406-FFD5E14A8348_zpsvoagclkj.jpg

129A9FE8-6278-4EE1-B410-2155E6D24732_zpsd5fswovh.jpg

4C201EF8-AD53-4EDE-B228-1F8D0877FABD_zpsseitpjae.jpg

I have no technical advice. But your rad is awesome. I hope you keep that on the wall somewhere.

There are some wet block deck plate motors in pulling that have held up to 2000+

There are some wet block deck plate motors in pulling that have held up to 2000+

Who's deck plates? Just trying to check all the options?

sad to see it go, great attitude, and keep pushing limits!

Thanks, not gonna lie though. I'm pretty bummed but at least it was just overpowering the block. Not something dumb sucking a rag through it lol

Thanks, not gonna lie though. I'm pretty bummed but at least it was just overpowering the block. Not something dumb sucking a rag through it lol

Drew builds a nasty wet Deckplate setup but you know that. To my knowledge you can't plate a 5.9. Cylinder walls aren't thick enough to cut them down and get a sufficient sleeve in before you hit water. I may be wrong though.

Ryan

Damn, that's sucks John. I've seen two blocks this year crack over 1600hp one like yours and the other horizontally.

Are you going to make the finals, suck if you couldn't?

Here's some pics of when my block let go on my 4bt. Yours cracked at the front freeze plug, mine let go on the back one. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441751989.681917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441752002.204291.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441752015.159537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, that's sucks John. I've seen two blocks this year crack over 1600hp one like yours and the other horizontally.

Are you going to make the finals, suck if you couldn't?

No, unfortunately I can't afford to rush things and get it back together this season. Hopefully by Bakersfield next year but even that is unlikely at this point. Between the turbos, data logger, and all the money I spent this season I've diminished the race fund. I'll see how this winter goes and hopefully be behind the wheel again in California... Or at least before all my safety equipment expires LOL

I'll be in Texas spectating though.

Here's some pics of when my block let go on my 4bt. Yours cracked at the front freeze plug, mine let go on the back one.

Yep, looks all to familiar :bang

I think D&J was an option but I also Haisley builds a wet deck plate motor as well as several of the tractor motor builders.

After looking through Lamillers thread I gotta say it seems like D&J has got it together on the deck plate motors. That motor was probably the healthiest sounding one in the competition. Whatever they did with the head clearly worked as well. Watch the trailer tow portion of the DPC. The response and torque of that setup was incredible especially at 5000ft.

Sorry to hear about the engine and good luck on the rebuild!

After looking through Lamillers thread I gotta say it seems like D&J has got it together on the deck plate motors. That motor was probably the healthiest sounding one in the competition. Whatever they did with the head clearly worked as well. Watch the trailer tow portion of the DPC. The response and torque of that setup was incredible especially at 5000ft.

Sorry to hear about the engine and good luck on the rebuild!

John already makes about the same power as that truck and runs his truck regularly at close to 10,000 feet... Lavon's truck is impressive but there are other places that build bad as$ deck plate engines. I think he was just trying to figure out who all can build deck plate setups.

Deckplate isn't the only option. 6.4 is also an option(short sleeve 6.7). We will be building a few sleeved 6.7s this winter as well as a few deckplate builds. 6.4 would be the cheaper of the 2 options, but the deckplate offers a better rod ratio, more dwell time on the piston, as well as a few other longevity advantages. But I still think a short rod engine will have the higher tq potential.

Jacob,
I know that the opp is probably making more power than Lavon. I followed little6cylinders build and love the truck and setup. I really wanted to see him in the running at DPC representing the 12v's.
Firepunk had a lot at stake this go around. These guys all ask alot from a streetable non filled engine, and Firepunk has a history of placing high importance on reliability. If there really was a better option for an engine running coolant I'm pretty sure he would have called them instead...

John good luck getting the old girl up and running again!

One hell of a run with that set up john! Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Sad to see this. I was hoping to meet you and the truck in Texas finally.

For what it is worth; with the power level you are at and with wanting to keep the block wet Eric Staab/No Limit mfg would be on my short list of builders to contact and/or consider as well. He is doing a lot with sleeving tech, is building some really nice products, & has some solid ideas on keeping a block together. Impressed me anyhow.

1500 isn't competitive in super street? What are pro street trucks making? Or are they just lighter with better traction?

Back