"BLOW OFF Valves" I need info..

IC-Smoke

Oh SNAP!
Ok guys my DTT is causing my prostreet66 to bark, what is the jist of a "blow off valve" I see Olee Poole (powerbypoole.com) has them but where do they mount... how do they work etc.....

Thanks guys!
Ian

I have the BD version wich is the same 50mm TiAL BOV with a air solenoid to turn it on, and you would get a box to control it that hooks into your TPS/APPS. It comes with a short piece of pipe that gets welded to your IC to intake pipe. Its has the flange on one end and is notched on the other. I dont know what, comes with Olee's kit.
They work by there being an air line from the intake going to a solenoid then to the top of the BOV. When you are on the go pedal, the solenoid is letting the air from the intake hold the BOV closed. When you let off, the solenoid then dumps the air out of the BOV and the pressure in the intake pipe pushes it open dumping the pressure. The valve closes when you are back on the throttle and the solonoid flips again, or the pressure in the intake is less then the minimum required to compress the spring in the BOV.
It makes a pretty sound above 30psi.

OK, I forgot about the pics. Sorry. I have my truck apart, and I dont have any pics of it put together, but I will in the next week. If you have a truck that is missing a TPS/APPS, you get a micro switch for the go pedal to kick the BOV open at idle.

Attachments

• bov1.jpg
    bov1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 100
  • bov2.jpg
    bov2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 63
  • bov3.jpg
    bov3.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 77
Ian, I dont know if this setup will work for you. If your tranny is barking your turbo on lockup/shifts you will still be on the go pedal. Jeff24's setup is for manuals where you snap your foot off the throttle to shift. Without moving the APPS back to idle, you wont be able to actuate the BOV. I've seen BOVs in place on autos but I don't know how they actuated them. Hobbs switch?

The way that ive seen them done on the autos is to just open and quickly release the pressure in the intake tubing when the throttle is released.

Jff24Gordn said:
OK, I forgot about the pics. Sorry. I have my truck apart, and I dont have any pics of it put together, but I will in the next week. If you have a truck that is missing a TPS/APPS, you get a micro switch for the go pedal to kick the BOV open at idle.

Do you have any barking problems at all, or did it just help. I just installed a new 62/12 on my truck and it barks when i let off to shift at about 15-20 psi. Do you like the BD because i think im going to get one i just haven't figured out which one.

I had a slight bark on shifts, and got the BOV. It didnt bark after that, but the 40 I was running wasnt up to my needs and crapped the thrust bearing into the oil pan. I now have bigger and havent herd it bark once. The BD box for the electronic trucks is adjustable for how much letoff is required for it to trip the BOV. Goto BD's website and read the manual. There is alot of stuff there.

DrSpeed said:
who else makes a kit besides BD? I'd like to get one!
i have a complete BD kit with only 6k miles on it. works flawlessly. only reason for gettin rid of it is i now have a spearco intercooler and and it came with new piping and i didnt feel like weldin another bun on to make the switch. comes with everything, bov, box, everything. pm me if interested.

Ok, then what is the difference between a BOV and an external waste gate. How do these two coincide with each other?

JamieWood said:
Ok, then what is the difference between a BOV and an external waste gate. How do these two coincide with each other?
a wastegate controlls how much boost the turbo makes wheather its an external or on the turbo itself. a blow off valve eleminates turbo bark by dumping the boost out side before it gets a chance to go back through the turbo.

I got the intake on tonight and some pics.

Attachments

• bov4.jpg
    bov4.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 43
  • bov5.jpg
    bov5.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 84
  • bov6.jpg
    bov6.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 66
Whats wrong with it? its a factory valve cover. That cheese head has never seen a valve cover before. How do you vet your blow by?

Skippy said:
...its a factory valve cover. That cheese head has never seen a valve cover before. How do you vet your blow by?

I've never seen a valve cover like that on a B5.9/6BT or a 4BT. What is its original application?

Later,

Matt

Back