blowby after injector install? observations

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
So my dads 05 CR had a miss about two weeks ago today...

I left work to check out the issue with him more in depth, and first thing was first, the truck was throwing a P602 code (ecm programming error), and no other codes. The truck was also about a gallon low on oil, which really concerned me.. A gallon of oil was added and truck was driven home.. Under the light we could not see any oil out of the blowby tube, nor the oil dipstick tube, BUT we could see that there was what appeared to be "blowby" coming out of the oil filler hole.. now this was blowby because if you put your hand over the hole, it would want to lift it off, and the cap in the hole would literally fly off when you put it on there.. Oh crap... was the first thing I thought.. the second thing, was that there might be a broken ring in that motor...

In the morning, we turned on the truck, no oil spewing out of the blowby tube, and truck started up just fine... it just had a "tick" to it (which I mistook for a knock at first sound) and we got it over the shop.. truck was smoking white the entire ride over there, and seemed to be "shaky" at idle.. I don't know, my dad was driving his truck (which is the one with the issues) and I was behind him in my 05. the truck was smoking a little white.. and seemed to be "ticking" from under the valve cover.... when we got to the shop. Right away the truck was taken into diagnostics, and as per the snap on computer, injector number four was not functioning properly.. as a matter of fact.. DEAD cylinder.. truck was on 5 cylinders, and was "running ok" by what it seemed. Anyways, on topic, injector four was shot.. IF one is out, may as well do all six.. so we proceeded to do all six..

EVEN WITH 2 micron filtration, I learned now that injectors still wear out, and at 148K miles, 80K with two micron filtration, one injector was dead. The injectors were tested on a bench, and injector four was not working properly, and according to the tester, it had been weakening very rapidly for some time before it gave out.

after the replacing all six injectors, connector tubes, and getting squared away.. the ECM still was not recognizing injector 4.. so the truck was running on five injectors.. again.. Turns out we had to remove the stock programming to try to remove code P602, and even after removal.. the ecm still was not recognizing the injector.. The ECM was reflashed and the truck smoothed out and worked much better than what it did before..

Ok so injectors, tubes, ECM reflash.. stock tune back on the truck, and NO DTC codes later.. truck seems to be running well.. WE changed the oil on it, used Delo 400, and Baldwin filtration, and also did the 2 micron from GDP, and proceeded to do a valve adjustment on the truck...

after the valves were set to specs, we happened to notice a couple of things on the truck.. the first one being that when you start it, it kind of sounds like it "drags" a little or "grinds, almost like it forcefully turns the motor for a little bit and the truck fires right up... it has done this the past four starts..

secondly, just for kicks, I wound up pulling off the oil cap, and guess what.. sounded like air escaping from the crankcase, and upon laying the cap on the oil filler hole, there was that damn blowby once again. .less than before when it first went bad.. but still.. good lord!!! there was no oil spewing out of the blowby tube, but when you pull the oil dipstick out, there is some oil specs spewing out of there.. and there appears to be some oil on the front differential as well, but its not bellowing it out of the bottom like crazy...

does anyone have a clue what in the world is wrong with my motor? Did a ring really break on this thing? or does the cylinder that was "dead" have anything to do with it?

again.. truck starts and runs great for being stock, other than that hiccup when starting it, and the blowby that still has not gone away...

I am not opposed to a rebuild if I need it, but im seeking out other possibilities for why I have blowby again, when ive seemingly done new injectors, new crankcase filter, ecm reflash, no DTCs and valve adjustment..

thank you in advance for your help guys!

Rick

Last edited:
Rick, it's possibly valve seals but I'm willing to bet you're going to need to sleeve a cylinder.

Blow by is the #1 symptom of a worn or scored cylinder, broken or worn rings, or a bad piston.
If you have significant blow by, you have major issues, end of story.

When I see blow by I usually have big concerns, because even a small amount tells me there's sealing issues.
A small amount "drifting" out on a higher miles engine isn't terribly bad, but when it pushes your hand back, pops off a loose cap, or builds noticeable pressure, it's a bad sign.

I suspect #4 injector on yours failed and dumped fuel, resulting in either burning the piston, or washing down the bore with fuel and scoring it.

Mark.

Last edited:
We always pressure check cylinders when the injector is out.

The fact that you have a cylinder not contributing is a dead ringer for cylinder damage.

Sometimes, turbochargers will fail and pressurize the crank case

Monkey Fist Rage

You put all the copper washers on the injectors didn't you?

^^^^If I understand correctly it had a problem before the injector replacement. Run a compression test. It will show you if you have an issue.

Or leak down test and listen to #4 hiss LOL

Sorry to break it to you, but most likely bitten by the beautiful design of the 04.5-07.

to answer all questions..

disturbed.. yes.. all washers were installed as needed to be on the injectors...
youngdiesel.. there was no problem with the truck at all.. till it developed that miss... there was no telling how long the injector was out, the truck ran flawlessly, and idled smoothly.. blowby started when it developed the miss to it..

and Brandon... it is just like my luck to have been bitten by the design.. time is something that is limited and this truck needs to be on the road ASAP... so it looks like if another check of the valves don't solve it, and a compression test tells me something im already preparing to hear.. im going to get a rebuilt motor in this thing...

I just find it hard to believe that under 150K these issues are plaguing this truck...

thanks for the help guys!

Could be a blow head gasket also but sounds more like a torch cylinder

We (a neighbor and I) just went through putting injectors in a guy's 2004.5 truck.
It had 2 injectors that were rattling when it was cold (fuel leakage), but would go away when warmed up.
We changed injectors around with some good used ones I had and got it to run quieter on the 2 that were bad, but it still had an issue, went to change 2 more and all hell broke loose.
White smoking, wouldn't run right, put another (reman) set of injectors in, still white smoke and carry on. We figured an ECM fault was the culprit.
Changed the ECM to find out his truck had anti-theft and my donor wouldn't run his truck for more than 5 seconds, because the ECM needed reprogrammed.

A local Dodge dealer failed to reprogram the replacement ECM.

So, we put his ecm back on and it went back to running "better", but had codes for MAP sensor and the rail sensor, changed those, then had a problem with it de-rating once it was warm, with a HPCR Error code and low pressure %age, which tracked back to the fuel supply tubes leaking off pressure, which we replaced and everything is back to normal now.

I guess my point of this is, if you're vigilant and use the resources like the FINE FOLKS HERE ON COMPD provide, you can figure out just about anything with these trucks.
It was here that I found the info on the possibility that the fuel tubes were leaking when it got hot and they were.

The worst thing you can do is be intimidated by a persistent problem, because chances are it turns out to be as simple as TROUBLESHOOTING IT.

Mark.

VERY good post mark. i know i have been in similar situations as well. but thanks to some good people here i am proud to be happy with what i know today.... and still looking for more.

Excellent point Mark. The guy's on this site are top notch. If I don't know I ask and get their opinions, and a lot of them have experienced what problems I am asking about. Bar-nun this is the best forum ever. Thanks guys.

My truck had similar symptoms ended up being cracked rings in #1 and #6, a compression test confirmed my suspicions.

Spoke to Rick earlier, engine is done. Anyone have an engine laying around? He's in Laredo. If need be, I'll meet you somewhere and grab it from you and deliver it to him.

to all wondering.. and those who followed this thread..

heads been pulled off.. piston number six looks like it has been hit with a hammer repeatedly, and has some serious play in it.. its in the process of getting pulled out as well as the rest of the pistons.. but a sleeve job is already needed for number six at least.. now to see what happened to the rings... im willing to be its what caused the play in the piston and the hammering on the top...

thanks!

to all wondering.. and those who followed this thread..

heads been pulled off.. piston number six looks like it has been hit with a hammer repeatedly, and has some serious play in it.. its in the process of getting pulled out as well as the rest of the pistons.. but a sleeve job is already needed for number six at least.. now to see what happened to the rings... im willing to be its what caused the play in the piston and the hammering on the top...

thanks!

do the valves/seats look fine in the same cylinder?

If the cylinder is scored vertically at 2, 4, 8, and 10, or the "corners" , it lost lube under the piston for some reason or another. I would like to see pics.

Monkey Fist Rage

so far, ive gained a lot of knowledge, and some experience through the loss of a motor.....

not quite the way I wanted to learn it, but tough, its the way it had to be... so far what ive learned is the following

so causes for blowby

one would be a broken ring
two scorched cylinder
three washed out cylinder
four blown headgasket
five dropped valve seat or valve seal
six melted or damaged piston
seven would be cylinder damage caused by any of the above
eight a bad injector or injectors would cause any of the above as well

in short.. blowby=expensive....

ill get some pics as soon as possible...

trucks back on the road already..

what a difference now is all ive got to say.. Head was overhauled, all six cylinders were sleeved (why do just two right?) block was machined, head was decked, crank was machined, truck runs better now than it did when it was acquired.. no blowby whatsoever, and total cost was 4500 dollars...

Back