blown engine

dangerous06

diesel tech
Have a truck with a bad hole it's a 91. Can I use a 95? Is there anything that needs to be swapped? The 95 has no P-pump so am using the 91 injection pump. Is it a direct bolt on? Which turbo is better 91 or 95? the 91 is intercooled. Radiator is full of rust is there a cleaner that works well? Was thinking CLR and run it?!

You'll have to swap the front cover because they are different from VE to P-pump, and to do that you will have to pull the camshaft. Depends on what exhaust housing is on the 91's WH1C turbo, but I think being intercooled it will probably be fairly similar to the HX35 on the 95.

You'll have to swap the front cover because they are different from VE to P-pump, and to do that you will have to pull the camshaft. Depends on what exhaust housing is on the 91's WH1C turbo, but I think being intercooled it will probably be fairly similar to the HX35 on the 95.

He could pull the exhaust manifold off the other truck and swap both that and the turbo too.

The longblocks should be almost the exact same.
Make sure you swap the injectors since VE injectors are larger than Ppump injectors (possibly different pop pressure too?).

Leave the turbo that's there on the '95 (WH1C), it'll work better than the H1C that's on the '91.

You'll need to swap EVERYTHING related to the fuel system, even injectors:

Timing case.
Timing cover.
Pump.
Gear.
Fuel filter set-up.
All supply/return related lines, even injector return line.
Injectors.
Injector lines.
AFC boost line set-up.
Lift pump set-up.
Fan & Fan Hub.
Crank sensor set-up.
Temp sensor. '91.5 uses a threaded stud, '95 uses a trapezoid looking connector.
There may be more.

Mark.

Last edited:
Back