Blu-ish Smoke at Start up

jhavard

Alright guys, I'm new to the PSD scene and I'm looking for some advice before I shytcan this motor and swap in a cummins. My newest edition is a 97 OBS PSD 7.3 auto. It was a no start when I first got it unless it had a huff of the ether. After changing the normal GP's, GPR, GP Harnesses, and the pigtails, it starts beautifully but has a ton of blu-ish smoke and feels like its missing on a couple cylinders till it warms up a bit (2 to 3 mins). Once its warm, it still kinda hazes and smells "Rich" while idleing. I checked the codes, nada, buzz tested the injectors, they passed, did a cylinder contribution test, and failed #7 and #8. I checked the fuel pressure, it read 50 to 60 psi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do a compression test to be sure thats not the problem. But in most cases it will turn out to be a bad couple of injectors.

O-rings in what? I'mn assuming somewhere in the injection, why else would it miss? Also, at a red light, if I go from idle to WOT, it will miss a bit too.

Each injector has like 4 o-rings on it if any are knicked or bad it could be letting oil pass until everything get warm

Each injector has like 4 o-rings on it if any are knicked or bad it could be letting oil pass until everything get warm

Oh, alright. I'll check into that, To me it runs too good to have t bad cylinders. I mean com'on, its only got 280,000 miles. Like I said, it runs pretty dang good once it warms up a bit. It doesnt miss or anything at idle, or surge going down the road, surely if it had 2 bad cylinders it would run funny almost all the time right?

Also check the harness that comes up over the valve cover on the drivers side. Alot of time the harness will rub the valve cover and cause a miss. Or it could be a valve cover gasket. Best thing to do is get a good scanner and run a cylinder contribution test on it

Last edited:
Also check the harness that comes up over the valve cover on the drivers side. Alot of time the harness will rub the valve cover and cause a miss. Or it could be a valve cover gasket. Best thing to do is get a good scanner and run a cylinder contribution test on it

Thats what I did and thats what told me it faild #7 and #8

Contribution test tells you it's mechanical, buzz means it electrical. With 280,000 it's time for injectors!

Back