Bob Wagner Help Please!!!!

luvinacummins

Bob, I know you have been very busy lately I am understand.. I am very understanding but I would really like some help..I have called and left emails to no avail.

As you know when we have spoken on the phone I have been fighting a surging issue with my truck and the smarty... It starts at 1400 rpms and goes up to 1800 rpms. I know for a fact that it is the smarty due to when I remove it it is completely gone. THe surging has seemed to get worse now that the cold weather has come upon us. I also know it is a rp issues as I can see the surge in my rail guage.

I am running the TNT race tune. My questions are. Is there an updated version? What do I need to get this?

I have spoken with a few other individuals and they had the same issues and they had gotten "updated" and it stopped. Right now I am at wits end.. I am removing the smarty from my truck as it makes it uncomfortable to drive and even worse when I am pulling my 17k trailer..:bang

Thank You...

Shane

Didn't realize this was so common with the R tune...I've been wanting to get it too.....I hope I can get the udated version!! I don't need anymore Issues!! I've got Plenty!! LOL

I'm not taking shots here...but could it be that the R tune...with R meaning Race...isn't meant for daily driving ?
I've always thought that if someone wanted to daily drive on an all out race tune they should just learn to live with the hiccups that might show up.

I'm not taking shots here...but could it be that the R tune...with R meaning Race...isn't meant for daily driving ?
I've always thought that if someone wanted to daily drive on an all out race tune they should just learn to live with the hiccups that might show up.

That's just it... I have the r tune but don't run it with the rpms tuned up... Why have a 4k r tune and give it out to people if it aint meant to be in anything but a sled pulling truck or race truck?? I know lots of other people running the r tune with zero issues or they had the surging and then Bob took care of it? I would just like some insight or an answer.. If indeed it is the tuning I will remove it but I know Christian, JP alot of people are running it with no troubles..

Yeah, I've noticed a few new weird things as the lows are down in the 20's. Coming back on a long trip lastnight I laid into it and you can hear what sounds like a rubber strip beating on the transmission hump.

I hope it's just one of the exhaust mounts, they tend to move and maybe one poppped out, i'll be checking on this and if anything is lose under the truck tonight.

It's just the weirdest thing under full load, if I give it like 1/3 throttle up to 110-ish, it's smooth, more then 1/3 and something makes noise.. everything runs smooooth other wise.

other cold weather weirdness, something I don't recall with these injectors last winter (4.11 software). on start up, nice puff of black. 28degrees, 9 hours, no block heater. when I hit the high idle, nice puff of soot. once things spin for a while, no puffs on setting high idle. I'm sure it's just an extended side effect of stuff being cold and stiff, bigger pump, yada yada yada. kinda neat tho with the sooty startup, I love how that sounds and looks.

Do you have a rp gauge? What is your rp when you are surging?

Try lowing the rp slightly, if you have that option, and see what happens. That's the problem 90% of the time.

Do you have a rp gauge? What is your rp when you are surging?

Try lowing the rp slightly, if you have that option, and see what happens. That's the problem 90% of the time.

shouldn't matter. All that should change is a timing knock, there should be no surge with it on wild. turning it down is a bandaid for a surge problem.

my truck was the opposite... with the rail on wild, it drove smooth as glass... with the rail turned down a little, I would get some RP surge/wiggle, but I could drive around it just fine.

my truck was the opposite... with the rail on wild, it drove smooth as glass... with the rail turned down a little, I would get some RP surge/wiggle, but I could drive around it just fine.

hmm interesting... I can still drive it but it is annoying as a MOFO... it's almost bad enought that it feels like the key is turned off for a split second and then fires back up again...:bang:bang

I haven't had that problem yet with the Smarty but did with the TsT I had. It was bad with stock cp3 drove to Floor-It John put on new pump and the surging got alot worse ude to faster ramp of pressure. Tried different TsT boxes at his shop to no avail. Tried his Smarty and it was gone immediately. That day was the day I became a Smarty'ier man. Off came TsT and bought a Smarty the next day.

hmm interesting... I can still drive it but it is annoying as a MOFO... it's almost bad enought that it feels like the key is turned off for a split second and then fires back up again...:bang:bang

wow, yeah, mine wasn't NEAR that bad! it was pretty slight. most passengers didn't even notice it

ya know, the truck sat in the body shop for 4 days. I get it back and before I leave I load up Software #9. I guessed right at all the settings. it's annoying if you put the truck back to stock, all the "saved" settings are no longer saved.

So, I'm cruising, the truck is fully warmed up and 15 miles into my 25-ish mile trip and I lay into it and the truck just "stops" like the key was turned off, small knock, like I hit something on the road. never did it again... you get something like that too?

Again, this is when it's cold out, < 32.

shouldn't matter. All that should change is a timing knock, there should be no surge with it on wild. turning it down is a bandaid for a surge problem.

Too much or too little pressure will cause surging. If the actual fuel demand is too high or low for the fuel being commanded in the program, it'll cause issues. That may not be the issue, but it is a major cause of surging problems.

Too much or too little pressure will cause surging. If the actual fuel demand is too high or low for the fuel being commanded in the program, it'll cause issues. That may not be the issue, but it is a major cause of surging problems.

Sure it will. Expecically if you have a MP8 or something turned up.

But with just software changes, should not be the case with correctly coded software on any level he chooses.

I suppose there's a small chance your FCA is sticking, but according to the older posts, on stock software, truck runs fine.

Unbroken, I don't buy that argument. If the truck is drive able in a 90degree day, it should be the same on a 20 degree day. Now if you have so much programming, fuel, etc in there that if you just breath on the throttle and it smokes the tires, or in other words, the truck is either idling, or WOT, then I would agree, not "streetable". In the case of hte TNT/R. it's street able.

I'm Sure Bob will take care of this for ya. I had problems before and Bob took care of me immiediatly. BOB takes care of his customers period! I had the problem with one of the first tnt r softwares and had the same problem. Bob Hooked me up with an updated sofware the problem was fixed. I Drove my CR all summer long with tons of road trips and thousands of miles with zero problems

Shane try running the non r tnt off the mads website and report back.

Thanks

I had been running v53 TNT/R and it ran perfectly. . .until about a month ago when I had dual CP3's installed and at about 35 mph I got the surging. Got the v56 TNT/R and NO problems.

Hey bob, Question, Are you folks working on a fix to help with torque management on higher then mild on hangs or slow back to idle with bigger pumps? how's that going? any good progress?

Back